please i need help hooking my mixer up to record on the pc

deadkennedys

okay..i bought a behringer two channel mixer and a sm58mic, i have acid pro on the comp for recording...i have two main outputs on the mixer, left and right....so what i did was put 2 guitar patch cords one in each and then got a connecter that makes it go into one..but when i put this into my mic input in the sound card it doesnt work. when i just put one guitar cable in back there it works but it doiesnt sound very good, i think its mono...how do i hook up the two so it works and has good sound. i also tried hooking them up into the line out imputs but had no luck..please help

ok ill try that but whats the difference between that, and using the guitar patch cords, ? and, im usingjust the one cable from the r main out into the sound card, and it sounds pretty bad, will it be a lot better with two?, like it sounds better with just the mic into the card without the mixer at this point, but it must be because i onlyhave one main out cable going into the card?

Really there shouldn't be much difference other than you will be giving yourself access to both channels of the soundcard's Line In via the mixer's panning.
Bear in mind that I suggested using the Line In of your soundcard.
The Mic In of a standard soundcard is normally a mono input internally bussed to both right and left, not to mention the fact that the preamp circuit is of rather poor quality meant for basic computer mics.
The benefit of using a mixer is to have access to better preamps and a line level output. You don't want to run the output of the mixer to the Mic In of a soundcard. That's like preamping a preamp, and is bound to cause noise.

Also you need to be familiar with your soundcards settings in regard to selecting the input for recording.
If it's a standard computer soundcard ... launch the Windows mixer applet (volume control) > select options > select properties > click recording > click OK > select the Line In as the recording device and set the level between 75% and all the way up.

okay i did all that, i changed to using the line in, but it doesnt work when i split the two cables from the ooutputs into one into the soundcard...i have a creative pci 5.1 sound card. so there is either something wrong with the cable im using to transfer the two cables into one, or my soundcard wont handle it or something?

What mixer do you have?
If your mixer is equipped with mic pres and you have your gain adjusted properly, there should be no reason why it shouldn't work.
The only things I can think of are ....

A) Your mixer is a line level mixer that has no microphone preamps

or

B) Your soundcards Line In is defective or is not properly selected as the recording device.

Maybe if both of the above.

Simple test of your soundcard .... if you have anything you can connect the dual RCA to 1/8" Radio Shack cable to .... like a cassette deck or a CD player ... hook it up to the Line In. Launch the volume control mixer and make sure Line In isn't muted and the level is turned up. The tape/CD should play through your computer speakers. Now setup your recording software as you would if your where going to record. Make sure the Line In is selected as the Record device in the Recording section of the volume control mixer. Play the tape/CD ... it should record.
If all is well to this point, I suspect your mixer to be the issue.

HTH

my mixer is brand new its a behringer ub802, it has two channels for microphones. im trying the connecters you suggested intstead of the one i have because i think it may be the problem

tumm, can you even record with acid? probably a dumb question! hey, tried using the monitor out or sends of the mixer?

ok ill try that, and yes i do know how to use acid pro,but i think the problem is with my soundcard, i tried the tape outputs using a chord that came with my camera, which is the right cord just with the yellow input as well as the red and white. but anyways im using that and i set up my mic and stuff, and the balance is totally off, its only recording on the left side and a bit on the right side instead of equally on both. and then i made some adjustements and the sound on the right was all the way up when no noise was even going into the mic....i have no idea what is wrong i think my solution is i need a new computer cause its such a basic set up and its screwed up

Before you go 86'n the whole computer, you may find joy in a better soundcard. Even an Audiophile 2496 would be a decent step up from your current card.
Not to mention that you could always use it in a newer computer if thats what the future holds.

Clark- Not to pick nits, but there is no such thing as a "stereo" RCA. You mean DUAL RCA to 1/8" stereo mini. I only make the correction because it's hard enough to get the right cables from the morons working at the Shack when you have the right terminology!

Dead- are you sure that you got a STEREO 1/8" connector? (A stereo connector has two bands on it, one near the tip and a second one further down, it would look like the one in the pics that crankz and Clark linked to.) The fact that you can only get one channel makes it sound like you're only connecting to one side of the line inputs.

If your computer is something of reasonable speed (anything over 1GHz ought to work for what you're attempting), crankz is right, get a new soundcard before you replace the computer. Soundblasters are notoriously poor for recording audio. They are gaming cards. The Audiophile 2496 or the E-Mu 0404 are both reasonably priced (under $100.00) and will work much better.

Good luck!

Ted

Last edited:
Back