Please Help!

guitargirl7

Before anyone reads this, please be aware that I am new to the home recording world, and am most likely doing something wrong for this error to be constantly happening to me.

Let’s say I go and record vocals for the first verse and chorus to a song. I stop recording for the day, give my voice a break, and come in for the second verse the next day. I pick off where I left off, enabling the track, recording the vocal, pressing stop when I’m finished. I go to play the vocal back, and I hear an extremely loud screeching noise (almost exactly like the sound a two way walkie-talkie makes after you click the button to say something) that repeats constantly throughout what I just recorded. The result is that I can barely hear bits and pieces of the vocal, while the separate guitar recording is jumbled in the mix. No matter how many times I try to re-record the vocal, it comes out repeating this same cycle over and over again. I'm starting to fear that this could be damaging my recording gear and software. My question is why is this happening to me, and how can I fix the issue?

The product I am using is avid vocal studio with pro tools.

I can’t promise everyone is going to understand what I am explaining, so if anyone would like any further clarification on the problem, please let me know!

Additional NEW info:
I found a more accurate description to my problem on another online forum that gave this Link: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=12ed73bcd38f4909f28acfeadc811cf2
apparently what I am experiencing is "white noise, distortion, and or static". I do not know how to decipher the instructions on this link, so maybe someone here will understand it more than I do!

Thank you!

Last edited:
probably a bit more info will help folk here get your answer.

the recording of the first day - does that sound ok before you stop for the day? or does that sound wrong too? (i.e is it only when you come back to it the project starts playing wrong)

do both guitar and vocal tracks sound wrong when listened solo? do the tracks sound OK if you monitor the track through your DAW?

What hardware are you using to record? sound card / audio interface / mixer?

how much memory in you comp, and whats the buffer size in your DAW?

You probably have the track monitor on, fed to your interface and back into the channel as you record the new take - feedback.

If you have internal effects boards, you may be experiencing a conflict. Shut off all effects everywhere and take another listen.

IMHO

probably a bit more info will help folk here get your answer.

the recording of the first day - does that sound ok before you stop for the day? or does that sound wrong too? (i.e is it only when you come back to it the project starts playing wrong)

do both guitar and vocal tracks sound wrong when listened solo? do the tracks sound OK if you monitor the track through your DAW?

What hardware are you using to record? sound card / audio interface / mixer?

how much memory in you comp, and whats the buffer size in your DAW?
_______
Yes, the recording the first day sounds fine when I stop it. I've even decided to re-record the song, and realized that it's a universal problem now. For example, when I start from scratch, I like to get it perfect. For this reason, I will keep "cutting" the imperfect material and record it all over again. If I don't like what I've recorded, I'll click "undo record", and start over. For each take, I record the same way each time. Right when I think I have that perfect take, I'll play it back and I'll hear that loud screetch again. It happens almost every other take I record.

I've never tried playing the tracks solo when this happens. This is what I do know: For example, if I "cut" or "undo" a recorded vocal that has a screetch in it, the guitar track sounds back to normal. As far as the "DAW" term, I'm sorry, I'm not too savy with "recording talk", so I'm not sure even what that means.

I am using Avid Vocal Studio with protools SE. I use the M-Audio producer USB Microphone for vocals. Then for guitar, I use Avid Recording Studio with M-Audio Fast Track audio interface.

And again, I'm not sure how much memory I comp, or what DAW means.

thank you for your feedback; hopefully this info will be helpful!

You probably have the track monitor on, fed to your interface and back into the channel as you record the new take - feedback.

How do I know if I have a track monitor on? And if that is the problem, how would I turn it off? I am using Avid Vocal Studio with protools SE - I use the M-Audio producer USB Microphone for vocals. Then for guitar, I use Avid Recording Studio with M-Audio Fast Track audio interface.

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with ProTools - but will it even work with a USB mic? There should be a monitor button on each track in ProTools.

Back