Please Help

YungPoke

Im upgrading my studio....i just finished building my soundproof booth now i want to get some new equiptment.

Have Now:

MPC 2000XL
Fostex VF160 (16 track digital recorder)
ASR 10
AKG C 1000 S
Behringer Truth Monitors
Turntables
Sony MDR-V600 Headphones

Looking for:

Mic Pre Amp
Mixing board
Better Mic

Im looking for inexpensive but damn sure worth every penny kind of stuff. You know like cheaper models that do just as good as job as the expensive shit!

Doesn't you Fostex have a mixing board built in?

I would post a question in the Mic forum for the mic and the Rack forum for the preamp.

yeah it has a mixing board built in but i dont have a master recorder to record to once i get all my levels right....it wont save your settings...it has a built in cd-r but you cant burn cd's of mastered projects you have to record it to a DAT or something....my plan was to mix it on mixing board and then record it on my 16 track....plus the EFX on my 16 track are generic...want better EFX also!

oh and thanks for the guidance outlaw!

damn 16 views and no one can recommend a MIC and a Pre-amp??? Would someone please help? Its not like im asking you to listen to one of my tracks im just asking equiptment help. Ive given feedback to people on thier tracks and I have never once asked anybody to listen to one of mine. The least someone could do is just say "I dont know". Everybody always talking about people just popping up on the site. Well I see why! I used to come here frequently a little bit ago and got the same treatment no replies...i thought maybe people had gotten over thier Homerecording.com senior member egos and would probably help. I guess not!

Okay there are two major issues bigger than mic and pres here.

What are you going to mix OUTSIDE of the Fostex?

Do you have a second multitrack recorder? Are you going to take the outs from that and mix them and only do a 2 track master on the Fostex? I didn't get that impression. Sounds to me like all you need is an external CD burner.......

You have to give a price point that you are looking to spend if you wan any opinions on mics and pres. Also are you looking for a pre that will color your sound or one that will leave it clean.

thanks for the reply outlawz....im looking to spend anywhere from $0-500 for both....my original plan was to get a mixing board master everything on their then record it onto the 16track....i thought i could just master everything on 16track and burn it but it wont do that....if you use its mastering feature you have to have an external master device to record to like an ADAT......and i just want my vocals to have that crisp sound to it...like 50 cent on 21 QUESTIONS or how Jay-Z stuff be sounding....it be real clear....i dont want to have to yell i want to be able to rap in my regular voice as well louder on tracks that demand it....thanking you for your replies in advance!

YungPoke

YungPoke said:
thanks for the reply outlawz....im looking to spend anywhere from $0-500 for both....my original plan was to get a mixing board master everything on their then record it onto the 16track....i thought i could just master everything on 16track and burn it but it wont do that....if you use its mastering feature you have to have an external master device to record to like an ADAT......and i just want my vocals to have that crisp sound to it...like 50 cent on 21 QUESTIONS or how Jay-Z stuff be sounding....it be real clear....i dont want to have to yell i want to be able to rap in my regular voice as well louder on tracks that demand it....thanking you for your replies in advance!

YungPoke

No problem...your welcome.

How long have you had that Fostex? You should be able to mix, master, and burn to a CD of it. A mixing board won't help you.

For the mic, you might wanna get back to the rack forum an let those guys know you mean $500 for both the mic and pre.....you aren't going to get any answers you can use otherwise.

That C1000B isn't going to get you 50 or JayZ vocals by anymeans. You need an LD condensor, a good room with isolation, a good CLEAN pre, and maybe double your vocals something.

lol.....i know i aint gone get that good of a sound i just want good sounding demos....im ready to start shopping demos and i want at least a decent sound.

YungPoke said:
lol.....i know i aint gone get that good of a sound i just want good sounding demos....im ready to start shopping demos and i want at least a decent sound.

I think your Fostex is capable of giving you perfectly good sound even without the outboard preamp. Just get a better mic and maybe a compressor is you don't have onboard effects. But a preamp into a compressor before tracking will allow you to get a slightly hotter signal.

The Fostex should do it all. I would read up on it . If it has 16 channels and it actually stores your indiviual recorded tracks, then you should be straight there.

I would go with a Marshall V67g or better.
or a Studio Projects C1 for mics for your price range.

Do a search for a Studio Projects VTB-1 or M-audio DMP3 for a micpre.

Or throw in some more bucks and grab a RNP, really good micpre for the price.

Malcolm

thanks malcolm for the advice....the rnp costs way too much and the dmp3 is cool but i only need one channel....so it looks like im gonna go with the studio projects c1 or audio technica at3035 for a mic and studio projects vtb-1 for preamp and a RNC for a compressor and grab a screen pop. How does that sound?

YungPoke said:
studio projects vtb-1 for preamp and a RNC for a compressor and grab a screen pop. How does that sound?

You should ask some people in the rack forum about that.....RNC in unbalanced I believe.....I don't know if the vtb-1 is or not?

About your Fostex.......have you visited the Fostex forum to see if anyone can give you some help with you mixing and mastering and CD burning?

YungPoke said:
thanks malcolm for the advice....the rnp costs way too much and the dmp3 is cool but i only need one channel....so it looks like im gonna go with the studio projects c1 or audio technica at3035 for a mic and studio projects vtb-1 for preamp and a RNC for a compressor and grab a screen pop. How does that sound?

What are you using the mic for mostly?
and yeah, that sounds good to me. I would ask others first though.

Back