PLEASE HELP!! With some old speaker boxes!

BlueGalaxie500

Hey there people. I need some help with my speaker boxes I use for recording. They are just some woofers I picked up with a magnavox amplifier. They sounded fine through the amp that they came with, but the amp doesn't work right anymore, so I ran them through another amp. The amp I used before was a 70 watt amp. It pushed them pretty damn good. They would bass pretty hard with out distorting. I don't know the watts on the amp I'm running them through now because it doesn't say(an old radio), but when I run sound through them, one speaker has more bass than the other. It seems one woofer basses more full than the other one. The other one doesn't sound blown, it just doesn't sound as full as the other one. I don't know if maybe it is blown or maybe some fuse or something is blown in the wires inside the box. I have checked almost everything there is to check to make sure all the wires are the way they are supposed to be, the amp is fine because I have tried running just one at a time and the one is still not working like the other one. I don't know what else to do. I am afraid that if I record something running from my 4-track, the produced tape will have one louder side than the other. Well if anyone has any info let me know here are some pics of it to help.
Peace out

Attachments

• speaker 1.jpg
    speaker 1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 16
  • speaker 2.jpg
    speaker 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 13
  • speaker 3.jpg
    speaker 3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 14
  • speaker 4.jpg
    speaker 4.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 14
  • speaker 5.jpg
    speaker 5.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 15
Hi
Sounds like the radio amp cant handle the load of the speakers.
Your old amp would have sent lots of current driving the boxes.
Remember Its better to have a larger amp running smaller spkrs than the other way round.
Also the bass will take most of the power.
You'll need to find yourself a good quality second hand amp ( try Ebay) the larger the better.
Cheers
Bob :)

I figured that...but

Yes I gathered that, but when I run the one speaker through the amp it produces a full bass sound. I disconnect that one and run the other through the same input and only this one produces a more high pitched sound than bass. It basses also, just more high pitched than the other one. You see, I have ran one at a time and both sound different. Given that the amp won't drive both at the same time and produce alike sounds, one at a time should produce the same sound, should it not? I figure,that the battery looking fuse type things connect to the inside wires, may need replacing on the one box. I just switched speakers, the 12", and now the one box from the side that basses more, now basses but more high pitch than the other, the one that didn't bass now basses, but seems not as clear as the other. I am lost I think it could be the one 12" speaker, the sound improved a bit on the box that produced a full sound, the other one that sounded higher pitched, now just has a more full bass sound. I am lost..... I just don't want to get rid of them if, they would be worth fixing.
Thanks hungry ghost.

Back