PLEASE HELP! What should i do with this vocal?

artdamage

hey all. if you could read the following post in its entirety and let me know what i should do i'd be very very thankful.

i've been recording and writing my first full-length record for the last three months, and today i've been stumped by this road block. the vocal part attached below sounds great, (and it's distorted on purpose, mind you) but during and more notably, after each phrase in the vocal line one can hear a wave of unwanted high frequency distortion. i have not been able to get rid of it without sacrificing EQ.

i'm thinking i should use noise removal of some sort. i also do not want to change anything about the process of recording it, i have a deadline.

here's what i'm using.

-dell laptop
-alesis multimix 8 usb 2.0 mixer
-m-audio black box guitar processor for the vocals
-a quality studio mic

i'm using MixCraft to mix and record. i DO NOT want to apply the distortion in studio. it's impossible to get this exact tonality and distortion with MixCraft, believe me i've tried.

if anyone has effects in mind I highly prefer VST's, they work well in MixCraft. the vocal is attached at below.

any / all help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Rig Vocal.mp3
    272.7 KB · Views: 59
...i have not been able to get rid of it without sacrificing EQ...

Try an expander, destructive manual editing, motorized faders, volume envelopes, or a noise reduction plug. It's not that complicated to dip the volume between vocal lines.

You should probably learn more about recording before taking on a major project. But on the other hand, this is one way to learn things.

Try an expander, destructive manual editing, motorized faders, volume envelopes, or a noise reduction plug. It's not that complicated to dip the volume between vocal lines.

You should probably learn more about recording before taking on a major project. But on the other hand, this is one way to learn things.

i learn as i go. can you link me to any vst's of that nature? mixcraft doesn't have any.

check the mp3 clinic....

I think I misread you, I thought you wanted to decrease the entire noise floor, getting rid of the noise in between vocals is simple...just delete it out and stick a small fade on on each part so it doesnt just cut off?? :confused:

check the mp3 clinic....

I think I misread you, I thought you wanted to decrease the entire noise floor, getting rid of the noise in between vocals is simple...just delete it out and stick a small fade on on each part so it doesnt just cut off?? :confused:

no i wanted to get rid of the backround high end distortion without sacrificing the vocal eq, but yes it does seem to be more prevalent at the end of each line if you listen to it. i have the same problem with intentionally distorted but otherwise clear drum beats.

so... noise gate you say?

I must be missing something too because I'd do the same thing that kcearl suggested. Delete the audio from where the vocal phrase stops to where the next one starts? :confused:

I must be missing something too because I'd do the same thing that kcearl suggested. Delete the audio from where the vocal phrase stops to where the next one starts? :confused:

the audio fizz is more prevalent at the end of each phrase, yes, but it's still there throughout the track. i want to get rid of it. it sounds, for a lack of better word, 'tacky' just gating part of it. unprofessional.

the audio fizz is more prevalent at the end of each phrase, yes, but it's still there throughout the track. i want to get rid of it. it sounds, for a lack of better word, 'tacky' just gating part of it. unprofessional.

no you gate the whole track, Im cutting out parts of it, not gating anything...its more "unprofessional" to record something with such a loud noise in the background to be honest :o

Id retrack it with a noise gate to begin with, practise until you reach a happy medium..

throwing away recorded parts is just a part of life, sometimes it cant be fixed later...as they say garbage in, garbage out

You've got an unwanted noise in your vocal track and removing it is "tacky" and "unprofessional"?

If I had the perfect combination of effects for the vocal take I wanted, I wouldn't bother trying to add more to eliminate a noise that is most apparent during pauses in the vocal. I'd just edit out the empty spaces and keep my FX chain the way I'd dialed it in to get the effect I want.

Or like kcearl said, I'd start from scratch and try to get a better recording. If the unwanted effect is there during the entire vocal take, there's something causing it in either the performance or FX chain.

At some stage during post processing, this track got fucked up.

Hopefully you have saved a previous version. Start over, and take note how you achieved the nasty high end distortion, so that you can avoid it next time. This is a great learning opportunity.

If you don't have a previous unprocessed vocal track archived, this is another great learning opportunity. :)

Back