please help... question about CD burning

AbuseTheMuses

I'm pretty ignorant from computer recording, I have always used hardware recorders, not software. I want to be able to burn CDs in 'redbook' so they can be played on any stereo. My computer has a CD burner, but no software other than Audacity, which doesn't do that. I am poor and so I want to take advantage of the stuff I have rather than going out to buy an outboard CD burner or a recorder with one built-in. I have this computer here, which is NOT a dedicated recording computer (its a cheapo wal-mart consumer thing). So my question is:

can anyone recommend software that can let me use my computers CD burner to make audio CDs? Is there any freeware out there to download (cuz I'm poor)?

I have no interest in using DAW because I do all of my work on outboard console recorders... I just want to be able to USB my finished product to the computer (which I have done)... but the next step of turning it into an audio CD 'redbook' code is the part I am clueless about. I would rather not have to buy an entire DAW software with all the features I wont use just for one simple process... SOOOooooo does anyone know of a program that just does what I want? maybe a free download?

You also notice that with real player you have an option to the speed that the CD can be burnt at. I like to keep the speed down somewhat cause when you play that CD if it was burnt at a very high speed you may be subject to skipping...Some people experience this and some don't, You'll have to find out for yourself.

:cool:

You may want to research the difference between Redbook and Orangebook. CD-R is part of the Orangebook standard. CD-Rs use a laser to discolor spots on the reflective layer of the disc to encode the data. "Real" (Redbook) CDs have a layer with pits molded into the plastic and coated with reflective material.

If you really want to produce Redbook CDs you need real mastering software to deal with PQs, errors and more, and then send the data to a real CD manufacturer to be replicated.

If you just want to burn audio CD-Rs then you can use WMP, Real or any of a number of widely available programs.

so what you are telling me is that WMP can make a CD I can play in a car stereo? (I've never used it other than playing mp3s) I don't need any special software? Gosh I hope so...

What they said- except one thing- some really old or cheap computers have a CD-ROM drive that isn't CD-R compatible. Make sure you actually have a CD-R drive. The good news is- if you don't, they're pretty cheap these days.-Richie

Let's keep in mind (just for the record - no pun intended) that just because a program might author a disc that plays in a typical stereo, it doesn't mean that disc is compliant with redbook CDA specifications.

I'd very highly doubt WMP, iTunes certainly doesn't, I understand that Nero will burn to specs "behind the scenes" (which to me, is just as worthless as "almost" in horseshoes).

Discs for personal listening use, go for it. Discs to be used as replication masters, most definitely not.

Back