please help PRO TOOLS & M AUDIO PROJECT MIX QUESTION

tsqair

HELLO TO ALL, I AM NEW TO THIS RECORDING PLATFORM,MY QUESTION IS,I HAVE A SIGNAL GOING INTO MY PROJECT MIX BUT I CAN NOT GET IT TO SHOW UP ON THE CHANNEL STRIP IN PROTOOLS ,I GET A POP UP THAT SAY'S " the track could not be record- enabled because it doesnt have both an active imput and active output. I ASSIGNED AN IMPUT AND OUT PUT TO THE CHANNEL ,BUT I THINK I'M MISSING SOMETHING HERE.(obviously i'm missing something), I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP FROM YOU ,THANX....................TOMMY

Ok,
First things first; Turn off capslock. :p

Pro tools is probably letting you pick ins and outs that used to be there. This happens if the session was last saved whilst using a different interface.
Your ins and outs will show as dark grey in italics and in the list they'll say 'path n/a' beside them.

To fix, open Pro Tools
Go to Setup -> I/O

Click the input tab then click default near the bottom left.
Do the same for the output tab.

Click OK.

If it gives you an error about conflicting names then

Click the input tab.
Select all inputs under 'name'
Delete them
Click default
Do the same for the output tab.

Click OK.

Now you can assign inputs and outputs properly.

thank you for your time and concern,I did as you recomended,however #1 when i try to click default in the imput selection of the I/O i can not because that tab is very shaded, I could select the default tab in the output selection, which I did do...................
#2 also the project mix is talking to protools because the faders and transport work together
#3 your right when i click on the channel strip imputs the options (built in mic. etc. do show path n/a..
any idea's..............................happy thanksgiving to you and to all

Last edited:
quick follow up

i also tried to delete the name such as built in mic etc. (which i did) in the i/o section, now when i click on the channel strip under imput it say's built in mono L -path inactive, i realize i'm probab 2 clicks away from getting thisl

i realize i can not select any of the choices in the imput section in the i/o menu, new path,new sub path,delete path, or default are faded out ,so i cannot select them ,although i can in the out put selection................hmm....?

Sorry for the late reply. This thread fell off my radar.

Hmmm...to be honest, you have me stumped a little.

Are you on Pro Tools 9?

I'm not using this system anymore but from memory and what you describe here's my 2c
PT is detecting your onboard soundcard not the project mix -
You must ensure that you have the FIREWIRE CONTROL PANEL (it should be active on your system tray if you have followed the instructions)
Disable or uninstall your onboard sound card
The Project mix replaces your on board sound card...
The control panel is where you can edit and change all settings / I/O for the device
It takes a bit a patience to get this setup to work but it's a very cool powerful setup.
Luck

Last edited:
got it!

first of all i appreciate you guys taking the time to help, turns out it had to do with setup/ -playback engine/ I didnt have project i/o as its play back engine, every thing now works ,but I also think that I had to make the changes in the signal path to ................thanx again

Back