Please Help Noob (me) Switch from Plug-in Reverb to Hardware

SonicAlbert said:
For someone who is so used to software reverbs exclusively, it will be interesting to see how undermind responds to a hardware unit.

I personally have the same reaction to plugin reverbs that he does though. They just don't work for me, for whatever reason. At first listen they often wow me, but when I really get into them, there's something funny going on with the sound. Especially right in the area of the first reflections, between the predelay and the first reflections. The tails are often quite nice on pluing verbs.

My reverb collection consists of: TC M3000, Lexicon PCM-91, Eventide Princeton 2016, Kurzweil KSP8, Klark-Teknik DN780, and Roland SRV-2000. If I had to keep just two of those it would be the PCM-91 and KSP8.

The Kurzweil Rumour sounds virtually identical to the KSP8 but of course doesn't have the eight busses or fx chaining features. I have A/B'ed the Rumour and KSP8, and it would be very tough to tell them apart in a blind listening test.

And Behringer, you forgot Behringer here. Nice crispy convoluted shimmering sheen with plenty of high freq sizzle.

The most important consideration, when using any kind of reverb, be it hardware or plugin ... is the room in which it was tracked.

If the room was already reflective to begin with, then you're going to run in to some challenges; namely, finding an "artificial room" that is complimentary to the room in which it was tracked. If it was a small room, then chances are, you're going to have some early reflections to begin with, so what you really might be looking for in a reverb is something that adds very little in the way of early reflection, but with enough "tail" / diffusion to draw things out a little. And it has to be compatible; you can't expect something tracked with the early reflections of a small, closed-in room to sound very natural when paired with the decay of a large cathedral, for example.

On the other hand, if you track it totally dry and dead, then you're going to be challenged to find a reverb that sounds believable enough to substitute for the lack of natural ambience when tracking; and without enough early reflection, or too much of a pre-delay, it can sound very artificial ... or just very up-front (and difficult to "tuck back" in a mix, if this is needed).

Ford Van said:
I will assure you with 100% certainty that you are going to be very disappointed in the results after you spend $1000 on a hardware box. You seem to place unreal expectations on converters and presets! ;)
Hahha wow, it's nice to know you're looking forward to me being dissapointed.
Sorry I'm not doing backflips over Roomverb2. I'm sure it's quite nice and fantastic. Like I said I haven't tried it. BUT, I have literally tried everything else. The damn Waves bundle costs over 5 grand, and the reverb is not that impressive. And I KNOW how to tweak a reverb.

I know great results can come from software plugs, they're just not for me. I think SIR sounds pretty darn good. And I've heard some great things done with the UAD reverbs.

And don't think you know me so well to know I'm going to be dissapointed in a $1000 hardware box. I've spent a good amount of time listening to Lexicon hardware in a few studios, and I'm not dissapointed.

Back