Please, Help Me!

R&B-N-JAZZ_LADY

"Music is My Passion"
Here’s the problem. I've purchased close up to $800 worth of equipments to get started in my little home recording studio; my one and only computer is starting to act weird. First, I had problems staying connected to the internet. Then, I noticed in task manager that my computer’s CPU goes up to 100% and down 30-17% (constantly). Windows XP also keeps freezing up, and it seems to be running slow. Therefore, I tried cleaning my cookies, defragment, delete unused files, and check for malware etc., but my internet service provider’s technician said that it may be a problem with my CPU. He suggests taking it to the shop or buying another computer. :(You guys, I cannot afford another desktop at this time and I think that it is time for a little budget upgrading. Please help! I need to find a CPU, motherboard, and RAM (a bundle or combo package) for my single-core AMD Athlon (tm) 2650e processor. I truly hope that this information below helps. If not, let me know what I need to post (I just want my computer with a faster speed). I appreciate all feedback from home PC experience builders, thank-you!

Motherboard: WMCP61M
Package: Socket AM2 (940)
Memory type: DDR2

Oh, I will never buy another AMD Athlon (tm) desktop and/or of any kind again. It is just garbage! :-(

Oops, I should have post this in Digital Recording and Computers... I apologize. ;-)

Last edited:
You'll see the thread's been moved to "Digital Recording and Computers".

There are a number of reasons why a computer starts misbehaving in the way you describe.

Most commonly it is because of viruses, malware and other mischievous gremlins causing havoc.

Sometimes it is a peripheral or ancilliary device. For example, a computer that misbehaved for me turned out to be doing so because of a dud graphics card.

Rarely is it the CPU itself. However, it is worth checking to see whether its fan is still working properly, and cooling fins are clear of dust . . . it could be overheating.

So:

1 do a serious and thorough virus and malware scan with the latest updates.

2 give the insides of the box a springclean . . . get rid of as much dust as you can.

If this doesn't work, then you could think about upgrading. However, this may not be the budget solution that you hope for. You may have to replace other bits in there so that you have upward compatibility.

You should keep in mind that audio stuff doesn't actually require a whole heap of processing power, so you don't need to get the most powerful machine in the world. Extra CPU & RAM helps, of course, but if it's beyond your budget, you can run audio successfully off a very modestly specced machine.

3 do a complete reformat and re-install of everything

If this doesn't work, then

Hi gecko zzed,
I done number one, two and thinking about the next solution carefully. I have put in a drive in another computer before, but never did a motherboard, CPU, and RAM. It shouldn't be too hard to do (I think). Maybe I should get another computer (just the processor). I don't know! Do you know what is compatible with AMD Athon (tm) 2650e processor (single-core with 2 slots)?

Thank-you, for moving my post. I will try hard to look where I am posting next time. :-)

Last edited:
Maybe I should try purchasing a RAM, first? Then again, I may need to buy the motherboard (if I can't find it) and CPU for capability.?.

Meanwhile, my computer is running better, (internet working now) but it still seems slow and stubborn.This will not effect my performances when I am recording? I am looking forwards hooking equipment up soon. I only have 1GB (1.61 GHz, 896 MB of RAM) on my computer.

Last edited:
1.61ghz and just under 1gb of RAM is enough for running audio.

See how you go to start off with.

Make changes if necessary.

I forgot to mention that my CPU was going up and down often even when I did not have any applications open. It came down some, but my computer is still not running fresh like it should (only had it for almost 2 and half yr).

Update: Okay, thanks!

I doubt it is the MB, or CPU. More RAM is always better, and comes in handy for audio recording. What version of XP do you have? What service pack? Are you using an interface or plugging into your soundcard? Something will be screwy. Other things you can do.....
  1. Set your virtual RAM to at least 1.5 or 2 times the physical RAM.
  2. Shut off indexing services.
  3. In msconfig, shut off all unnecessary services like Adobe looking for Flash Player updates.
  4. I absolutely abhor Norton, but some kind of WinDoctor and/or registry cleaner should help.
There could be other problems that aren't problems until you want to use your computer for audio recording. No one ever seems to look at the power supply, but it can make a difference. It doesn't sound like you have a horrible computer. Socket AM2 can be dual core, which certainly isn't junk. The DDR2 bandwidth is about 30% more than Socket 939 or 754, so you have the basics for a decent computer to begin with. Have you updated the BIOS? Nah, it won't be a BIOS problem, skip that. Sometimes that can be a can of worms trying to update. There has to be some geek in your neighborhood that can tweak it up. There's always an IT guy at work, the kid's school, whatever. Someone will have it going for you, all you need is a persuasive tone of voice.
Ah, I reread you have a single core socket AM2. Still, I've used much worse, and had only minor hiccups along the way. As you fix it you'll get smarter than the IT guy.

Last edited:
Second the registry cleaner and driver update. Also clean the temporary internet files-- different than cookies.

You can also set up your puter to boot to different configs at startup, you might a config that is bare-bones for audio without virus software and all the app update stuff running in the background. Turn off screensavers too.

I ditched anti-virus sw about three years ago and haven't had any problems running XP without it. I was having bluescreen issues until I ran a registry cleaner and found outdated drivers that didn't play well with XP-SP3. Now I just use Ad-Aware and run the registry cleaner every few months to make sure everything is still tip-top.

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner: Safely scan and repair registry problems - Spyware FREE.

Driver Detective - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

You don't need to buy Driver Detective to update your drivers. Use the demo to find the outdated drivers and then hunt up new ones manually and install them yourself.

Second the registry cleaner and driver update. Also clean the temporary internet files-- different than cookies.

You can also set up your puter to boot to different configs at startup, you might a config that is bare-bones for audio without virus software and all the app update stuff running in the background. Turn off screensavers too.

I ditched anti-virus sw about three years ago and haven't had any problems running XP without it. I was having bluescreen issues until I ran a registry cleaner and found outdated drivers that didn't play well with XP-SP3. Now I just use Ad-Aware and run the registry cleaner every few months to make sure everything is still tip-top.

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner: Safely scan and repair registry problems - Spyware FREE.

Driver Detective - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

You don't need to buy Driver Detective to update your drivers. Use the demo to find the outdated drivers and then hunt up new ones manually and install them yourself.
Thanks, for responding you guys! I also cleaned the temporary internet files too. I did mostly everything that I can think of to improve the performance. However, I did not second the registry cleaner and update the driver; I will try your suggestion. :-)

Last edited:
I doubt it is the MB, or CPU. More RAM is always better, and comes in handy for audio recording. What version of XP do you have? What service pack? Are you using an interface or plugging into your soundcard? Something will be screwy. Other things you can do.....
  1. Set your virtual RAM to at least 1.5 or 2 times the physical RAM.
  2. Shut off indexing services.
  3. In sysconfig, shut off all unnecessary services like Adobe looking for Flash Player updates.
  4. I absolutely abhor Norton, but some kind of WinDoctor and/or registry cleaner should help.
There could be other problems that aren't problems until you want to use your computer for audio recording. No one ever seems to look at the power supply, but it can make a difference. It doesn't sound like you have a horrible computer. Socket AM2 can be dual core, which certainly isn't junk. The DDR2 bandwidth is about 30% more than Socket 939 or 754, so you have the basics for a decent computer to begin with. Have you updated the BIOS? Nah, it won't be a BIOS problem, skip that. Sometimes that can be a can of worms trying to update. There has to be some geek in your neighborhood that can tweak it up. There's always an IT guy at work, the kid's school, whatever. Someone will have it going for you, all you need is a persuasive tone of voice.
Ah, I reread you have a single core socket AM2. Still, I've used much worse, and had only minor hiccups along the way. As you fix it you'll get smarter than the IT guy.

I have emachines with Microsoft Windows XP (home edition version 2002) and service pack 3. I also have adobe and flash payer; are you suggesting to delete my applications? I like using the player @ singnsnap website for karaoke. :-(

Last edited:
Today, I purchased a backup external drive for music and important files. This can help save a lot of room on my computer.

I have emachines with Microsoft Windows XP (home edition version 2002) and service pack 3. I also have adobe and flash payer; are you suggesting to delete my applications? I like using the player @ singnsnap website for karaoke. :-(

No, you don't have to remove anything. Service Pack 3 can be a problem with some systems, but almost always with MCE, which is horrible for recording, anyway. But Home Edition should be OK. I know I have Home on one laptop, but I stopped at SP2. If you go into 'msconfig', you might be surprised. Check 'startup'. You may have a handful of programs 'running', even if you don't think they are. One is almost always Adobe. It runs all the time, connects to their website, and always monitors for updates. Always in the background, but always eating resources. You may have Norton :-)mad:), who are the absolute worst for screwing with a perfectly good computer in the name of making your computer 'better'. I've found my antivirus program updates running (no shit!), my printer looking for updates, MSN Messenger, whatever, you get the idea. You can shut them off without removing them. You can start the always running mode again after you record. I always do that as a matter of principle. Nothing infuriates me more than hearing that bitch's voice screaming 'Avast data base has been updated!' right in the middle of a killer vocal track. :spank: Shut off what you don't need to record, and turn it back on later.
I'd add RAM (I can't remember what you said you had to begin with), run a Win Doctor and/or Reg Cleaner program, and clean up your msconfig startup. You may be surprised how fast your computer runs.

ranjam,
LMAO--on the woman saying "your avast database has been updated". I had Norton installed on my computer, but I uninstall it and place the free version of avast, and now I am using BitDefender antivirus 2010 on my computer. How can I disable it until I do not need to record (I am still learning about computers)? I haven't put any recording equipments together, but would not like to run into problems later. I truly appreciate you all help. Thank-you.

Last edited:
oops, made two of the same posts...
Anyway, I almost forgot about the RAM that I need (don't need the CPU or Motherboard). I would like at least 4GB (the highest my system requires).

eMachines System
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
2650e
1.61 GHZ, 896 MB of RAM
CPU:
AMD Athlon Neo MV-26
Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (Build 2600)
CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 1 Cores - 1 Threads
CPU PSN : AMD Athlon Processor 2650e
CPU EXT : MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE (1, 2, 3), x86-64, AMD-V
CPUID : F.F.2 / Extended : F.7F
CPU Cache : L1 : 64 / 64 KB - L2 : 512 KB
Core : Huron (65 nm) / Stepping : DH-G2
Freq : 1607.48 MHz (200.93 * 8)

Motherboard:
MB Brand : eMachines
MB Model : WMCP61M
NB : NVIDIA MCP61 rev A3
SB : NVIDIA MCP61 rev A2