Please help me with this mix...

pearldrum944

I threw this together a couple weeks ago just to have some new tracks to work on mixing. (I'm not that great of a musician, and by NO means a singer) I realize that there are a few timing issues etc, but I would rather focus on the mix. Does anyone have any advise about what could be done differently? I think overall it sounds a little cluttered/muddy, I can't really make out any of the instruments as clearly as I would like.

I also mixed this on headphones (Sennheiser HD650s that I just got) because my room sounds horrible, I'm about to build some broadband absorbers and bass traps.

So anyway, the song: a cover of "alone now"

Here is the 2nd mix: (read below)

Last edited:
I like the delay at the end of those verse vocals. The guitar tone is kinda muddy to me, fiddle with eq and see if it helps. The overheads get a bit brittle on the cymbals and seem to be loud in the mix. I would want a little more click in the kick drum maybe. The vocals sound pretty good but could probably use a little more reverb or something to make them sit nicer. Good work though!

Thanks for the comments! I worked on the areas you suggested and posted a new version in my first post. I attenuated the overheads a little and EQed a bit of the highs out. I changed the reverb on the vocals some, added some click to the kick and reworked the guitars a little. I also dropped the 3rd guitar out of the mix (that was straight up the middle) and it seemed to clear everything up a little bit. Anyone have anything new?

Your voice isn't as bad as you make it out to be. The mix seems okay, but your guitars seem to be missing a lot out of the middle, they're all lows and highs. Besides that, the drums seem kind of "roomy" to me... but that's a matter of preference, I suppose. I like dry snappy drums myself.

Thanks! I played with drum EQs and reverb some. This time I used a limiter on the kick and snare, dropped some reverb out of the OHs and snare. I think the drums sound better, a little more punchy and clear. The guitar I messed with EQ again, but I think my main problem is my amp. I have an 80w Kustom 1x12 (?) that doesn't seem to have many mids itself. The newest mix is the 2nd one in my first posting again.

Back