Please help me with my patchbay

Foo-bu

Hey everyone. I just recently purchased a patchbay for my setup at home. Only problem is that I have no clue how to wire it up to do what i'm looking to do.

Basically what i want to have happen is have certain outputs normalled to certain inputs so that there's no need to patch anything in (ie. external preamps to my Digi002). I'd also like it to be neatly organized so that there's no confusion as to where something is. but I'm finding in my little experience that this isnt possible...either that or i'm just in a mindblank and can't think right now.

My patchbay allows me to set individual channels in normalled, half-normalled, parallel, and open modes. I've attached a word file with a diagram of what i've got working now vs how i'd like it to look. any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've never dealt with the different modes of patching before so I'm not sure exactly how each one affects signal flow and how it might help me. i've looked stuff up but i'm still confused!

Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• patchbay layout.doc
    40 KB · Views: 34
Welcome to the world of patching, believe it or not if you go to Behringer's website and download the pdf file on the MX9000 mixing board there is a very intricate layout on a multi-bay patching system along with pretty good descriptions as what the modes are.

That was the most usful to me....

Your patchbay document came out as a jumble when I opened it, I couldn't tell what went where. Maybe better to to take a jpeg of it and post that.

Basically, it sounds like you want most of your patchbay half-normalled.

First, I can't stress enough the importance of *labeling* every input and output. I use an inexpensive labeling device made by Brother, called the P-Touch PT-65. I think it cost under $20, and has been worth every penny. I label my patchbays, cables, power strips, wall warts, basically anything that needs identifying.

Next, I label my patchbays not with "in" and "out", but with "From" and "To". The top row is "From" and the bottom row is "To". It may seem silly, but I find this helps me when wiring the gear, to prevent the old stupidity of cabling the "In" of the gear to the "In" of the patchbay. Obviously, the "out" from the gear goes to the "in" of the patchbay. A minor detail perhaps, but "from" and "to" makes it easier for me to conceptualize where the cabling is going.

The top row is always "From", as that allows you to normal it to the bottom row.

So in your case, your preamp outputs would be cabled to the top row rear, and your Digi inputs would be cabled to your bottom row rear. In a half-normalled setup the signal would then flow from the top rear to the bottom rear without any cabling needed on the front.

Half normalled means that the signal flow goes from the top rear to the bottom rear without front panel cabling necessary. If you patch a cable to the top front you multi the signal, i.e. the connection from top to bottom rear is not broekn, and you have the identical signal flowing out the top front. If you then patch a cable to the bottom front you *break* the rear connection. This is useful if you want to process the signal with a compressor for example, between the preamp and the Digi.

Hope this makes sense.

As far as organization, that really depends on what would be most convenient for you. I would probably put all the Digi inputs next to each other. Same with the outputs. The *most important* thing to do though is to LABEL the patchbay!

Well said, Mr. Albert, I like the to and from idea as I've occassionally connected ins to ins and outs to outs. To and from does indeed make things easier to visualize. ;)

Thanks Albert!

Your description made it all make sense to me! It wasn't quite how i expected the patchbay layout to look but it's working so I can't complain. Now I just need some mroe toys to fill up the bay so i can go to town!

Thanks!

Back