Please help me set up protools 8 !

DAGON

Could someone please post a full guide on how to get Protools 8.3 working on windows 7 64 ?

Ive been trying to sort this for ages .. and all i keep getting is error messages when i try and run the program

I have
Dell Inspireon 660
8gig ram
windows 7 home 64

official dvd of Protools 8.3

Mbox 2

Ive been updating and patching drivers and everything i can think off ... and still getting error messages

PLEASE HELP !

Cheers

I did post this in another thread ... if i knew how to delete it i would haa ! ...

Thank you for your reply mate ... I will post the error message asap .. im currently at work ..

In the meantime would it be possible to tell me the order of things regarding installing it ? like a step by step guide ? I know its a big ask for a noob on this forum ... ive seen loads of posts on line regarding getting rid of IE8 .. shutting off your anti virus ... dont connect to the net .... its a bit mind blowing for me to be honest ... I was running PT7 on xp .. that was so easy !!

I have a official copy of 8.03

Thank you for your reply mate ... I will post the error message asap .. im currently at work ..
No problem.

Truth be told I'm a mac user and I'm well out of touch with M$ operating systems.

Streamlining guides have been around for a long time but I can't help but feel they become less relevant as technology evolves.
You shouldn't have to do any of that stuff.

Let us know what the errors are. I mean, does PT install? Do the mbox drivers install?
Does the mbox work as a system audio output? Does PT launch? etc.

Anything relevant you can think of.

EDIT:
I only glanced at this but it seems 8.0.4 is the minimum PT version for windows 7.
Updates within a purchased version (ie 8.*.*) are free so I'd do that first.

Thanks mate ...

I installed PT8 ... seemed to be ok ... the Mbox lights up like a x mas tree but as of yet ive not tried it for any music or anything ... I have downloaded the 8.04 update and tried to install it ... I dont remember the exact wording .. but it was something like we couldnt find a copy of protools on your system ...

... I also tried to register the version .. but the code on the digi pack didnt seem to make sense ... to be honest i didnt really know what was the code i needed ....

Lots of help i know ...

When I get back Ill try and boot it up again and make note of the error messages .... Thanks mate

Cheers

Ive just tried to load PT8 again ... it loaded quite a lot of parts up .. then stopped with " DAE ERROR - 1115 was encountered "

I have just downloaded and installed PT8.5 ... which appeared to work fine ... I tried to run after a re start but im still getting the same DAE Error message on start up ...

Ok, that usually means there's some kind of communication issue with firewire/usb but it can mean other things too.

Check to make sure that your motherboard is compatible; You'll find that info on avid.com somewhere.

Also try a different USB cable and different USB port.
If you're going through a hub bypass it. If you're going into a front port switch to a rear port.

Might just get lucky.

Ok ... will i need to disable on board sound ? .. i have just tried playing some music and it played thou the normal pc speakers ...

That didnt seem to have any effect .... I have also installed - Audio drivers (64)

I feel like I have missed something ...

Ive just had to do a re start ... and with the usb still in the front usb ... PT8.5 loaded up ! ... and asked for authorization .... it loads up fine !!

Cheers for your help with this mate .... you are a true life saver !!

Now ... for the next part ....

when im not in protools .. should my normal pc speakers be on? as i can hear them when playing music

... should they switch to the Mbox when i load up protools ?

Also ... being as I dont have any PT8 files yet .... ive not heard anything in pt ...

is it possible to load up PT7 save files in PT8 ? or will that cause all sorts of issues ?

Ive just had to do a re start ... and with the usb still in the front usb ... PT8.5 loaded up ! ... and asked for authorization .... it loads up fine !!

That's great news.
Sorry for the barrage of 'try this-try that' but that's how ProTools rolls on PC. :p

Whether you use the mbox or onboard sound for day to day use is completely up to you.
As I understand it the driver package linked before is a standalone driver, so it should allow the mbox to work as your system audio device.

Of course you'll have to select in control panel/sound, or whatever the 2013 equivalent of that may be.

PT7 saved sessions will open up just fine in PT8.
Once saved again in PT8 I can't guarantee they'll open in PT7 still, but I have a feeling they will.
Just do a test session if that's a concern.

Mate not at all ... id still be going around in circles ... ive not tried anything out yet but just it loading up is a vast improvement haa

I will try and load up a session i saved from PT7

not wanting to annoy you .. but im a bit stuck with registration still ... the codes i have dont seem to fit in the boxes ..

Back