please help me improve my recordings!

Jonkan

Ok, I just finished my bands last demo that we recorded in our basement. Now
if someone could tell me what they think about it sound/production wise and
give suggestions for improving on our next recordings. And if anyone is
interested i could give you details on how and with what it was recorded...
the adress is http://figuresfromhere.iuma.com
please listen to "broke by way" and "low life dreamer" first as the other
songs are much older. unfortunately the mp3:s are only 128kbps...but i think you get the general idea.
thanks!
Jonas H

Heya, Jonkan. How's Sweden?

Things that jump out on first hearing:

1) Little sustain on the guitars. This leads to small "pockets" in which only the drums are doing their thing (and maybe the lead). I that's where you're going, cool. If not, find a way to fill those pockets.

2) Those drums are bright... something about them doesn't match. Try puttin'em back in centerfield, panned ever so slightly, and then delaying them anywhere from 3ms to 8ms. Maybe pull up the midrange (what, 500-2000 Hz?) to compensate for the bright cymbals, and drop the entire track in the mix a bit. (or maybe not. definitely try and get the punch back, though)

3) more in a bit. gotta clock out.

Well, listening here at home, forget the EQ thing on drums... but they sound a little ahead, you might wanna send them back a bit.

@2:17, LET IT EXPLODE.

@2:57, if you isolated the snare in your recording, pop some reverb on top of it up until 3:22.

Overall, a good sound. I'll listen to it, at least! The biggest thing making the song feel "off" would be the drums, maybe the lack of pronunciation in the guitar overlays (one of them sounds a bit outta tune on occasion). The cymbal work is pretty cool. Bladda bladdah, bladda bladda.

Btw, this is a listen of "Low Life Dreamer," oops.

on broke by way

I think I like the drums. The guitars too seemed well recorded. Yes Rats, I too would like to know what was used.

It's hard to critique when listening through Creative PC speakers.

H2H

cool!

I probably cant be of much help to you recording/production wise, it sounded good to me (i am a newbie myself :) )
I checked out "break by way" and "low life dreamer" and really enjoyed the songs, just wanted to let you know that you guys rock! I'd also be interested in how you did the recording... good work!

Ok, it was recorded using Cubase on a celeron 400 and Dsp factory (w 2
ax44:s). First we recorded drums (pearl export, with too old skins :) and bass (sennheiser e604:toms shure
b52:kick sm57:snare and C 480 B with the hyper.c capsule (i think...) for
oh:s, for bass we di:ed it using a countryman di.) It was pretty straightforward,
the OH:s were spaced about a 1-1.5m or so from each other pointing at the middle of
the snare, just below the ceiling (about 2.5-2.8m up) everything else was basically close
miced. No eq compression or any kinds of effects until mixdown.
For micpres we used the usual small mackie (1402).
Then we recorded some guitars using some sennheiser mic which
i dont remember the name of..it has a flaming
Wheel(?) on the front and has one gold side and on black side
(i think...). The amp was a Marshall JTM60
and the guitars we used are Fender Tele and an very old Gibson "black beauty" 58.
Then we moved the computer upstairs and started tracking the vocals, the
singer actually had a blanket on top of his head covering the microphone
because my room has too crappy acoustics. The mic we used was an akg c3000,
the vocals were doubled in "low life dreamer" for micpres/ad we used a
mindprint di-port which i recently aquired. Then for broke by way we used
the NI B4 hammond simulator for that flangy sound you didn´t like. And some
other synth for some "windy" sounds which can be hard to hear...and also
there´s me playing bongo drums, but thats also hard to hear. (there´s some
other "secret" stuff there to...but im pretty shure you wont be able to hear
it with crappy mp3:s) Then i started mixing. For reverb i mostly used a TC
electronics M2000. I use JBL4406 for monitors and my home stereo to power
them (harman kardon something). After i mixed the songs I ran them through
Waves C4 and L1 and some corrective eq to fix some problems i had with the
amount of lowend (it´s really hard to hear whats happening down there with
such small monitors). Then I listened to it about 500 times on different
systems swearing everytime i heard me playing any errors, praying i would
not have to remix/rerecord due to something strange. Soon I´ll post links to my
new songs which are in a different genre (kinda singer/songwriter countryesque but improvised)
just have to finish them first. They are all recorded in my room with minimal micing and sound quite interesting in my opinion..
Later/Jonas

hmmm..

I'll bet the groupies in Sweden REALLY rock... I love Swedish chicks.. no, wait... I love chicks in general. I've been trying to find one that doesnt talk, kinda hard. Maybe they'll clone some headless chicks with great bodies... THAT would be the bomb! ;)
Anyway... I like the drum sound too, although I think they are a tad bit too sizzly. If you have the original tracking still, try killing a little bit of presence, not alot, and doubling the snare onto another track, and then EQ and compress the living hell outta the doubled track, and bring the doubled one in slightly behind the original... just enough to fatten it up. See if that helps. Then try the same thing with the vocals, or even the bass line. You may be pleased... maybe not. Hard to say. All in all not a bad sound though.
Listening again, maybe the snare has too much ring to it. I tend to get that too. Gotta muffle it sometimes, use the dead ringer. You might even be able to sweep through with an EQ and maybe kill a little bit of that ring, but be careful doing that. The bass is a tad low on this system. Try the Waves MaxxBass since you prob have it, or raise the level a little.
I've used that little square 2 tone Sennheiser too, and its awesome. Does great on toms too. It gets a really nice guitar sound, I used it on the song I have posted here.
Peace,
Paul

Back