Please help me find the right audio interface for me!!!!!!

Ejudstuen

Alright, i have no idea what i'm doing and i'd really appreciate it if i could get some suggestions or advice! I'm 13 and need some help finding the right audio interface for me, i've tried researching but i just don't understand. I want to start making drum covers but need some recording gear. Ok i have 8 mics and just want to record them via an audio interface, then export the audio of all 8 mics to my computer (usb). Then i want to edit the audio on my computer. So please, if you can help me, just post a link or advice below, thanks in advance!!!! :)

Alright, i have no idea what i'm doing and i'd really appreciate it if i could get some suggestions or advice! I'm 13 and need some help finding the right audio interface for me, i've tried researching but i just don't understand. I want to start making drum covers but need some recording gear. Ok i have 8 mics and just want to record them via an audio interface, then export the audio of all 8 mics to my computer (usb). Then i want to edit the audio on my computer. So please, if you can help me, just post a link or advice below, thanks in advance!!!! :)

How about Firewire instead of USB? Perhaps a Presonus Firepod? Check 'em out.

Try Reaper for software.

If you want 8 channels at one time, then Firewire is going to be be the best bet. There are USB interfaces with 8 channels, but I heard there can be latency (delay) problems.
Read all you can on these forums before buying anything! What's your budget?

Last edited:
If you want 8 channels at one time, then Firewire is going to be be the best bet. There are USP interfaces with 8 channels, but I heard there can be latency (delay) problems.

Well my computer doesnt have a firewire port so i'd need a firewire to usb adapter. and my budget is around $500..

Don't get a firewire to USB adapter, as that defeats the whole purpose of having a firewire interface. It'd be best to find a firewire PCI card for your computer (should be fairly cheap).

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TetraFish again."

Damn, I missed out!

Well my computer doesnt have a firewire port so i'd need a firewire to usb adapter. and my budget is around $500..

Yeah that would just defeat the purpose, you'll need dedicated firewire. Do you have a laptop or desk top? I could be wrong on this but I don't think USB will do 8 channels. Maybe 8 in and 2 out or something like that.

Also I think $500 will be tight. If you had firewire you could get a Presonus Firestudio Project for that much.

I swear...it's amazing how long this Firewire vs USB bullshit persists. :rolleyes:

1. USB 2.0 is every bit as capable as Firewire. The downside to USB is that you have to examine what else is using USB resources besides the interface and make adjustments as necessary...might have to disable that USB hub, or mouse for example. I routinely have to disable my wireless adapter and occasionally my USB wireless mouse.

2. USB 2.0 will quite easily handle 8+ channels of audio. I routinely record 8 channels at a pass using a realitively cheap ZOOM R16 interface. It works flawlessly.

Give Tweak's guide a good read.

If you want 8 channels at one time, then Firewire is going to be be the best bet. There are USP interfaces with 8 channels, but I heard there can be latency (delay) problems.

There can be latency problems with any interface....USB or Firewire. Depends upon the interface and how you have it configured. I've had both and am currently using a USB 2.0 interface. I don't have any latency issues at all. I don't have anything against Firewire interfaces but their supposed superiority was vastly diminished with the developement of USB 2.0. Now that 3.0 is right around the corner, I have to wonder if there will be any functional difference at all....

I swear...it's amazing how long this Firewire vs USB bullshit persists. :rolleyes:

1. USB 2.0 is every bit as capable as Firewire. The downside to USB is that you have to examine what else is using USB resources besides the interface and make adjustments as necessary...might have to disable that USB hub, or mouse for example. I routinely have to disable my wireless adapter and occasionally my USB wireless mouse.

2. USB 2.0 will quite easily handle 8+ channels of audio. I routinely record 8 channels at a pass using a realitively cheap ZOOM R16 interface. It works flawlessly.

Whoooooohooooo!! Tell 'em! :D

People always skip over usb 2.0 like it's the poor crippled child or something. One will easily handle 8 tracks for the OP.

Respect it! :drunk:

P.S. -- there used to be some website that had like an "audio interface quiz" thing that asked you all these questions (# of inputs needed, different input types needed, firewire/usb/2.0, etc) and then presented you with a list of all the machines that matched your needs. I used it once but seem to have forgotten it! Anyone know what I'm talking about that can post a link?

I love my Phonic Helix18 Universal.

The one thing that got missed regarding Firewire vs USB is that Firewire has a whole lot more smarts than USB. Firewire can perform direct memory transfers without bothering the CPU to do the work. The result is when I run my mixer in Firewire mode CPU usage is 2% instead of 20% using USB.

Racherik

Ahh, I actually read that here somewhere that it could only do two channels. I'll have to stop listening to you guys;). Still, having to "routinely disable" fairly essential items like your mouse and wireless adapter is an absolute deal killer for me. Why dick around? Just go FireWire.

Ahh, I actually read that here somewhere that it could only do two channels. I'll have to stop listening to you guys;). Still, having to "routinely disable" fairly essential items like your mouse and wireless adapter is an absolute deal killer for me. Why dick around? Just go FireWire.
It's the wireless USB mouse that's usually an issue for me. I can still use a mouse or my track pad!
I mash a button to disable my wireless internet....takes .25 sec to do it and I save several hundred dollars by doing so. Works for me. I'm usually not in the habit of crusing the net while running a session.:cool:

The one thing that got missed regarding Firewire vs USB is that Firewire has a whole lot more smarts than USB. Firewire can perform direct memory transfers without bothering the CPU to do the work. The result is when I run my mixer in Firewire mode CPU usage is 2% instead of 20% using USB.

Racherik

That's cool...if a 20% CPU load is really an issue I guess.

My comp is an ultra cheapo Compaq/HP laptop. It has a 2.1 ghz Celeron processor and 3 gb of ram and a 5400 rpm HD. I'm using Sonar Producer 8.31 and a ZOOM R16 interface. By all accounts it should be a terrible rig...yet I'll run projects w/ 20+ tracks, plugs all over the place, with zero problems. Yeah, I smack my CPU doing it. It's not an issue.:cool:

We tend to think that it takes monster machines with almost bottomless resources and pristine interfaces to record audio when the reality is, virtually any contemporary comp will do nicely. Hell, I occasionally run Reaper on a friggin Netbook with no problems at all!:D

Last edited:

Racherik

So??? :laughings::laughings:

K, back on topic everybody! OP, I personally use the Tascam 1641. It's usb 2.0 and has 8 mic inputs, 2 1/4" balanced line/instrument inputs on the front, 4 balanced line inputs on the back... It's good stuff, and would leave you some room for exanding in the future. That's my two cents! Good luck! :)

Back