Please help me defrost my nuts

wimat

So my studio is setup in a basement with concrete formed outer walls. I'm in the north woods of Wisconsin, it's really cold. There's forced air heat that is way too noisey to run during sessions. My space heater is also noisey and just not cutting it. Are there any better solutions? Something that's quiet, powerful, and won't cost too much. Maybe I'll frame and insulate the outer walls, but that's a lot of work.

Heat

Is the sound from the forced air heat coming from the heating unit itself or the vents? If it is the unit and it is in the basement, perhaps you could frame something out around the heater to dampen the noise. Maybe a moveable wall or something, could work for in front of the vents as well with a little space in between..

Electric radient heaters.

Some use infrared lamps. Some use heating elements in an oil bath with radiator fins on them. Many have no moving parts/no fans and so are completely silent.

Get thyself to Home Depot or the like.

I have one of the oil filled radiator style heaters. I live in Pa, it gets pretty cold here. It's all I use in my studio which is in an un-attached garage. I have to turn it off if there are more than 2 people out there. Gets too freakin hot.

cold nuts

I use an oil filled electric heater in my studio 20'x14' . when I get the guyes together in there it runs us out with heat. If you have halogen lights w/heat from your amps etc. you wont have a problem.

Heater

I'm with the other guys. Go with the oil filled heater (old radiator style). Very inexpensive and no sound at all. Just got one at the hardware store for $30 and it has 1500 watt, 800 watt, and 700 watt settings. I completely blocked all my forced air ducts into the recording room.

Thanks a lot for all the help. I'll run and buy one of those oil-filled ones tonight.

The furnace is all framed out, it's the fan noise coming from the vents. We're in the basement of an office building so the furnace is substantial and quite loud.

Thanks again, my nuts appreciate it.

wimat said:
... it's the fan noise coming from the vents...
Take the vent covers off. They restrict air flow, causing an increase in air velocity.
Then get some new ones that have a larger free and open area.

It gets cold in PA?

No way! Hang Dawg PA cant get as cold as Wisco!
I live in Minneapolis MN it gets way below zero! Way BELOW!
I have an oil heater and it does Jack squat!
Let me look through my magical book of studio design and see If there anything there to help ya.....
Later
-Reco

Cheapest oil heater

DO NOT get the cheapest model of the oil heater, get at the very least the next step up, $60.00 - $70.00 .

The cheapest one uses a LOT more electricity for much less heat.

Always keep it on at least it's lowest setting, they really do take a while to heat up.

The $70 model on it's lowest setting is very efficient.

Believe it or not, two of these heaters on their lowest settings, are much more effective than one on it's highest, and they would use far less energy.

I have two of the $60 models.

Back