Please help me choose my monitor...

Baz97

Hi,

which of the follow monitors would you recommend for my home studio.

1. Tannoy Reveal Active(pair) - 616 Euros

2. Yamaha MSP5 Power(pair) - 518 Euros

3. YSM1p(pair) - 560 Euros

4. M-audio STUDIOPHILE SP-5B (pair) - 490 Euros

i didn't realize reveal actives were so cheap. i think i'd be alright with a pair of those....not next to the mackies though

yup..not a bad deal. I mean, I guess the way I look at it...you're going to pay twice as much for the Mackies....and, you are going to get a lot better bass response...and higher volume playback. So, weigh how important those are to you.

If you have the chance, go listen to them for a while, make sure you like them. Compare them to the Event 20/20bas also if possible...as they are similar in price range.

I don't like the idea of a 6.5 inch driver...but, thats just me. I am sure it will get you great mixes once you learn to use it

THe mackies are out of my price range to be honest, but i would spend 600 Euros for the reveals if I was conviced they were better than my 3 options above - are thay??

I thought Tannoy was made in Canada. My reccomendation swings toward the Yamahas

They have always made great monitors, though I havent used the exact model you mentioned Ive been using the NS10s and It has Improved my mixes and how I approach the task.

None of them....

I'd go with Event 20/20bas.
Best "bang for your buck" in that price range.

THese are the european prices for the events -

20/20 PAIR 481.00 EUR
20/20BAS PAIR 1201.00 EUR

That BAS versios is way too much for my budget.

I've heard that the Yorkvilles are the best budget buy, but it seems like I could get the reveals at a real bargin price. So im still not sure.

Anyway keep the suggestions coming.

Sorry guys the Event are out of my price range - I'm in the e.u. so I think ill go with the tannoy 'cos there made in Scotland and therefore cheaper for me than they are in the U.S. Everything else is dearer.

I have the M-Audio Studio Phile SP-5B
I am very satisfied with them, my background isn't as exstensive as some of the other guys here. However I like the performance, the price,& the compact size. As space is always an issue with me.
Before I purchased the Studio Phile's, I compared them to a Pair of Tannoy's and Behringer that were all in the same price range about $300. And I picked the Studio Phile's

Hi Baz97,

I was in the same boat as you two weeks ago
so I know what you are going through.
After looking over all the tests I could find,
I decided on the Tannoy Active.
It will take you a bit of time to get use to using them
on your mix, but that would be the case no matter
which ones you go for.
This is my first monitor so I'm probably not the best
person to give you advice, but I must say they sound
excellent and I'm very happy with my choice, they look
as good as they sound as well.

I got them from Musikhaus Thomann in Germany for
575.00 EUR, I don't no what shipping would cost but
that's something you could look into, the link is
http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/tho0324.html

Hope this helps a little Ty :-))

MSP5's

I've got them and I'm happy. As an earlier contributor said, it not so much what model you get, it's how well you know them.
So don't lose too much sleep over your decision.
:~)

Regarding, M-Audio Studio Phile SP-5B

Today I did the old A/B on the following moniters:

Same CD was used for all tests (a local band here in Southern Cal, they use lots of percussion, ie. gongs, bells, grinding synth bass sounds, overall very esoteric stuff and good for hearing lots of various instrument frequencies) , Heffler T1100 power amp on Event 20/20 and KRKs moniters, Mackie mixing console (big one, very big did not get the model) Used the same channel and EQ for all tests, dials were straight up flat. The KRKs won this battle with more clarity in the upper mid and highs. Less bass than the Events but overall better sound. I also wanted to check out the Yorkville monitors but could not find them around where I live.

I used the same CD on the Studio Phile SP-5B. These have their own internal 100Watt per side amp so I did not use the Heffler on this test.

The Studio Phile SP-5B's where just sonically better than the rest. They were much clearer sounding meaning the definition of the voices and guitars was more like the real thing. I felt the other moniters covered the sound somewhat and were not as accurate sounding. Kind of muffled really.

I would not use the SP-5B for rap or sub bass mixes although one of the guys at the music store said he does. I was extremely impressed with the M-audio product so I picked up a pair. Near feild monitors with directional adjustment on the tweeters to customize your listening sweetspot. $287 with internal power amps, this has got to be one of the best deals out there for bedroom studio types. That is for both monitors, by the way, as many places do not make this clear when you are pricing.

No I am not affiliated with M-Audio, actually I am still mad at them for never upgrading their drivers on the old DMAN PCI card. Just wanted to pass along the experience. Ok, maybe brag a little on my new toys too. Hey my kids won't listen, my wife just rolled her eyes, who else can I try and impress.......

Last edited:
I think the review is in sound-on-sound.

I could not read it online since I dont have a subscription, at least I think that's the one bruce was talking about.

I did read this one on the krks though. Given this review I dont see how it should be difficult for any monitor to be better than them.

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/28903E8954A7B37A86256AE10011E556

right now, I am in the market for some monitors. I I am looking at the mackies and the dynaudios. I might have to check out the m-audios for a third reference. $287 powered is unbelievable. Why did no one tell me this before?

Back