please help me choose a SOUNDCARD for my LAPTOP

hiphopsupamix

hey guys, I'm going to get a Laptop for music production and recording (so I can take my laptop and a mic to a rapper, singer or musician's house and record them there)...

I'll mostly be recording one rapper/singer/musicion at a time so I'd say I'd only need;
one mic input (preferanly with phantom power/mic preamp)
midi port just in case I need it (I have an Oxygen 8 and an MPD 16, but they can run on USB but you never know when I'll need a midi port)

to tell you the truth, I can't really think of anything else I need???

I will say though that I use Pro Tools M Powered at home so if I could get an MAudio soundcoard then I could use M Powered on my laptop too which would be cool but I'll consider all suggestions

thanks!!

Sounds like you've sorta made a decision. Just need to decide how what you need for sure. Sounds like M-audio's Firewire 410 would be the best bet. If you want more I/O for later on, then the Firewire 1814 might be a good choice.

Yup. Chosing to go with PT M-powered really narrows down your choices. Pretty much pick the one that fits your budget and go. :)

take care,
Chris

^^^

thanks for your replies guys

I was considering the Audiophile USB or Audiophile Fireport but I now realise they don't have a mic input...

also, after reviewing the prices of the other MAudio external soundcards I'm considering other (non M Powered) options...

I figure I could always record vocals or instruments in Cool Edit Pro or Cubase and then export the .wav files when i get home to my DAW

is there a soundcard similar to MBox in features but a bit better/cheaper?

any other suggestions?

theres always the tascam us-122...its got 2 xlr's with phanton power and midi.
It will be perfect for 1-2 track stuff and comes with cubase LE.
Ive seen them for as cheap as 160 bucks new on ebay...or your local store carries them for like 200...or used is like 100.
I love mine and use it more than my main rig!

Markaholic said:
theres always the tascam us-122...its got 2 xlr's with phanton power and midi.
It will be perfect for 1-2 track stuff and comes with cubase LE.
Ive seen them for as cheap as 160 bucks new on ebay...or your local store carries them for like 200...or used is like 100.
I love mine and use it more than my main rig!

thanks for the suggestion, is the Tascam US122 a souind card as well as an audio interface or nahhh?

hiphopsupamix said:
thanks for the suggestion, is the Tascam US122 a souind card as well as an audio interface or nahhh?

It's a sound card with pres and phantom power. M-Audio's got a new one out, the Fast Track Pro that's very similar.

UPDATE

okay guys, seeing as I will only be recording vocalists and musicians very occasionaly (at least for the moment), I've decided that all I need for the moment is a very basic but still decent sound card for music production and then I'll borrow my friend Mbox when I need to go somewhere to do some recording.

any suggestions then on a decent but very basic soundcard for my laptop? I'd really only need to run Reason and Cool Edit Pro with it and I wouldn't really need any MIDI inputs or even stereo inputs (at least I don't think I will).

thanks for any more input guys, I really appreciate your help

You might try the Echo Indigo IO. It is very nice sounding and it is a cardbus interface (PCMCIA). I had one for a while and it worked great. I only sold it to get more inputs. It has a stereo in and a stereo out.

cawhite12 said:
You might try the Echo Indigo IO. It is very nice sounding and it is a cardbus interface (PCMCIA). I had one for a while and it worked great. I only sold it to get more inputs. It has a stereo in and a stereo out.

thanks mate

as of now, I'mma try and get a Firewire 410 if I can afford it, if not the Echo Indigo or something similar looks good to me

thanks

Back