Please help - Firestudio Project question/ advice

RichyRich

Hey guys I went to maybe buy a tascam 2488 to do some recording. I've been playing drums for 20+ years and guitar 15 or so years. I wanted to just lay down tracks but the studio gets to costly quickly. The guy at the Guitar center talked me out of the the tascam for recording and talked me in to getting the Firestudio Project, etc. He sold me pretty good.

Problem is that I am recording studio illiterate, bigtime, w/ regard to the engineering aspect... I only know how to play.
Reading the manual it may as well been in Japanese.

Whats the best advice to help me get started? I'm reading different posts here and I am oblivious. I also have limited computer knowledge. I can return this thing within two weeks if I'm not happy w/ it he said. Was this a bad investment?

Please help I am starting from square one.

Well I can say that a stand alone digital unit will be very complicated too.
You're going to have to do a lot of reading any way you go about it. You're going to have to just set down and fuddle through it for a while.
You're going to have some frustrating times getting things set up and learning how to use it. Once again it is going to be that way on any system you go with. Get your self familiar with the presonus web site and it's help section. the manufactures site can be a big help for people with no expieriance.

Once you start to get an incling you will be able to ask specific questions of people here and get some help that way. You are going to have to get a grasp of the lingo and basics before it all starts coming together for you.

You can do it. Everyone starts from scratch at some point. Don't let the computer scare you. It won't blow up if you hit the wrong key;)
If something stops working chances are you need to undo the last thing you did:D

I'd keep the fire studio providing you have a decent computer.

F.S.

Freudian Slip's advice is good.

But the other side of the coin is that if you just want to lay down drums and guitar with a minimum of fuss a standalone hard disk recorder can be just the ticket.

I say that because if you just want to treat a hard disk recorder like a regular, linear old-fashioned tape machine without ever using the cut and paste editing features or getting too deeply into the onboard effects you can do it. That's something that's very difficult for someone with limited knowledge and experience to set up a computer to do.

My recommendation is that you return the Firestudio and carefully consider your options before you make your next purchase. I recommend you look not only at the Tascam but at the Yamaha AW1600 and some of the Boss multitrack recorders too. I have both an extensive computer setup and a Yamaha AW16g, the older brother of the AW1600 and am very pleased with my current setup.

For your needs I would go with a dedicated hard disk recorder over a computer.

I appreciate it. I quite a fast learner I think. I am familiar w/ the cut and paste, etc only b/c of my studio experience. Plus I want to have the ability to make a really high quality recording by myself. I have almost 20 originals and my band has about 40 w/ bunch more fragments. I think that this is more practical for my application. If just scares me b/c of how unfamiliar i am w/ the terminology, etc.

Ultimately I'd like to not have to pay to go to the studio again except maybe to have something mastered or something. I was also told that this thing is not compatible w/ ProAudio (something like that), and that ProAudio is the coca cola of applications for this type of thing. Other people have told me to take this back b/c of that alone.

Would my money be better spent on a different brand???

Im guessing you meant protools, which it is not compatible with. But really, who gives a crap.
Personally, ive become a big fan of presonus. I have a firepod which is like the cheaper,less-featured cousin of the firestudio. Personally, I prefer the firepod and tracking/mixing in a computer. Once you get a few basics down, I think its way easier than using a stand alone recorder. Stuff like volume/pan envelopes, splicing, punches, etc are all way easier for on a computer. Not to mention having way more tracks than most stand alone recorders.
As far as getting started, Im sorry but yer gonna have to read the manual, read the website, read the help inside what ever program you are using. I looked at the firestudio manual and on page 10 it has a quick start guide. Just make sure you followed the instructions to install the firestudio, then fire up cubase LE and follow the cubase quick start up. That should get you going as far as laying some tracks down. When you cant figure out stuff in cubase, check help, check the forums here or ask questions etc.
For that matter, if you are unfamiliar with stand recording terminology, pick up a book like Home Recording for Dummies, its actually pretty useful. And when you have specific questions, ask in the appropriate forums.
The only other thing I will say is that you might want to look into scaling down to a cheaper product, as the firestudio may have way more features than you need. However one feature that anyone should find useful is the FS control panel. The firepod lacks this feature so you have to trust your software for the input levels. I couldnt really justify spending the money on it for just that feature though, esp when I still need so much other gear ^_^

I appreciate it. I quite a fast learner I think. I am familiar w/ the cut and paste, etc only b/c of my studio experience. Plus I want to have the ability to make a really high quality recording by myself. I have almost 20 originals and my band has about 40 w/ bunch more fragments. I think that this is more practical for my application. If just scares me b/c of how unfamiliar i am w/ the terminology, etc.

Ultimately I'd like to not have to pay to go to the studio again except maybe to have something mastered or something. I was also told that this thing is not compatible w/ ProAudio (something like that), and that ProAudio is the coca cola of applications for this type of thing. Other people have told me to take this back b/c of that alone.

Would my money be better spent on a different brand???

thank you so much deadleaf (and everyone). I'm actually really excited to play w/ this thing. Money is not really a concern in that I didn't think that this was too expensive anyways. I've spent 4 times as much in one studio session and got nothing accomplished.

And yes I meant protools.

Is there anything else that I should invest in that comes to mind that will greatly help w/ regard to sounds. Someone mentioned a guitar program, etc... what should my next investment be for my home studio project

Well what someone should have mentioned by now is a good pair of monitors. All the gear in the world is useless unless you can hear whats actually being recorded. Might want to list else you have if anything....mics etc.
Id start with some monitors, mics and some good outboard pres....

Back