Please forgive my ignorance...

showstone

as, I am sure most of you will be shaking your heads in disbelief when I ask this question, but, I am completely MIDI ignorant.

Due to a recent local increase in creating "beats", I have been forced to consider purchasing some vitual instruments. My question is, if I purchase MOTU's Ethno Instrument and say an M-Audio Keystation Pro88, am I able to "play" the instruments as if it were one of a keyboard's voices.

Also, would I be able to control other virtual instruments like drum packages and piano packages, etc.?

Lastly, would I be able to compose loops in my current recording software(cep2) or do I need software specifically designed for "beats" and loops and import the files to my recording software?

I really appreciate patience with your responses, I am sure this is probably kindergarten level midi questions.

I second the first two 'yeses' above.

And I do know about looping software. Download Reaper here --- LINK. It's a powerful but cheap midi/audio shareware sequencer that is getting rave reviews all over this board.

It's $40 to buy a license, but you have 30 days to test it out on your own system before forking over any cash.

It will host MOTU's Ethno Instrument and allow you to work with it as if it were built in to your controller.

showstone said:
Lastly, would I be able to compose loops in my current recording software(cep2) or do I need software specifically designed for "beats" and loops and import the files to my recording software?
No. I don't think CEP can host VSTi/DXi's.

I know I wish it was my line but its taken....its a paraphrase of the lyrics from "Hooker with a Penis" by TOOL. Great song, great line. The actual lyrics are:

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And then you bought one.

Incredible....I love it.

showstone said:
I know I wish it was my line but its taken....its a paraphrase of the lyrics from "Hooker with a Penis" by TOOL. Great song, great line. The actual lyrics are:

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And then you bought one.

Incredible....I love it.

Dude, you forgot the best line in that song...

Fuck you, buddy.

Back