PLease explain D.C. offset

crazyhorse

I think I know what it is. I've noticed that even simple reverb, e.q., freq. filtering, etc. will often offset a properly zero'd wav. If this is true then should't I be Running a D.C. Offset adjustment after every processing procedure?

If you're not sure you know what it is, do a search because we've talked about it here many times. Since it should only happen when recording, you should only have to fix it once, after the WAV is created. Sounds like you're having hardware problems though. Does your house have properly grounded wiring, or are you using a SoundBlaster card?

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 01-03-2000).]

A project from last week was eye-opening. I took a .mid file that I usually just play back on my Canvas and record on the Gina. I then took each track and recorded it separately, the idea being I could software compress the bass and drums just the amount needed and leave the rest alone, then remix it all and it would sound great.
Oops. Needs more work...
But when I isolated the Synth Bass line, it had a mondo DC offset, while none of my other tracks had any at all. This had been lost in the mix because I've never tried this before.

O.K. Dragon, I already know what your gonna think about this...
I'm using a SB 16 Pug-n-Play (w/Awe 32 upgrade) and am living in my new double-wide trailer in the sticks (Hee-Hawville)!!!

I guess you called it. I noticed the recurring process/offset thing before I got Cakewalk so I'm gonna see if it's still as bad now.
I thought a bad offset would only be incurred due to differences in line-in voltages, thusly remaining 'good' once in the pc and corrected as necessary. Are you saying that my pc's operating voltage may be fluctuating due to inconsistancies in my homes wiring? My pc (speakers, and monitor) are both plugged into a pretty bad-ass Sola Electric power conditioner. Wouldn't that compensate for ground problems?

Your Sola is cool but it will only solve AC line ground problems if everything else involved (mixer, amp if you're going direct) is plugged into that too. The grounding problems that cause DC offset have nothing to do with line voltage per se. And any poor grounds on the soundcard itself would not be fixed by your AC line grounding, though making sure that's correct will help in any case.

S8-N was getting them too, probably because all the outlets in Hell have only two wires. Seriously though...he said he lives in an old house without grounded outlets.

Back