Please dont hate me

boogle

I am young I will admit analog is some what uncharted terrain for me. I got an old Ampex 440B and it was in kind of rough condition. I have replaced the caps on the cards and cleaned it (a lot). I am having problems getting it calibrated though. I do not have overly sufficient test equipment, just a tone generator. I am generating a 1k tone at 0db out of my analog board. I have adjusted the azimuth and zenith by eye best I can. The 1k tone goes to tape a zero according to the meter and plays back at 1k. When I record a 10k signal it plays back at zero, but when I record 100 Hz signal it plays back at -4, even with the calibration maxed.

I also am trying to calibrate the bias and understand that you want to over bias, but with a 10k signal even at 0db, with the bias calibration maxed the meter is still not coming back down.

I am basing my information off of what I have read and have tried to get the best understanding of it I can.

Anyone who can help me it would be much appreciated.

Repost this in the analogue forum - they're rabid tapeheads down there and know their azmuth from their ombazure, (pity I can't spell).

Back