Please critique

baker_

yeah, newbie works fine.
This is a song I was asked to mix and produce.
Aside from terrible vocals, how does the mix actually sound.
This isn't exactly 'my style' of music.

The song is:
To Be Juliet's Secret - All Angel No Wings

The other rap song is just a friend's midnight project we work on when we're bored.

www.myspace.com/thebakerystudios

...The vocals are really pretty bad.

The piano doesn't have enough low end to it, and I haven't cared for those kind of synth vocals since I stopped listening to Daft Punk, but the mix works well together. I think it would sound a bit better without that effect.

I can hear where you're going very clearly, but you seriously need to redo the vocals and boost the low and mids of the piano, so it thunders alittle more. It sounds too soft for being the only instrument and with the generally soft vocals. I would suggest deepening the guitar part in the intro, just a tad, but if you boost the piano it might be a bit much. Also, bring the vocals forward a bit more, they're often very obscured.

I suppose my best advice is entirely what you weren't asking about: get a better singer on this.

It might sound alittle overdone if you add strings or something, so I suppose avoid the Phil Specter approach. It's not really my style of music, but you're a very talented engineer.

Yea. I mentioned above about the vocals.

Imagine my displeasure in listening to them every time I sit down to mix.

I definitely hear you on the piano though. I didnt notice it before, but I think I may have a low cut on it.

I was waiting for so long for the real song to come in. I was getting sick of the radioish sound. I think you can make the mix sound a lot more full even when all the thing's start going. The jangles sound cool on the guitar towards the end but the other guitar part coming into the heavier sounded pretty muffled. The guy doesnt need to whisper. Do they want you to auto tune their vocals like that? I think they would sound better without it. Has potential to be a pretty cool song. Better vocals and a little better sounding guitar and it would work much better for me. Cool stuff, keep it up.:)

I agree with what has been said so far. Add more to the low end of the piano and lose the autotune one the vocals, although I kind of like it on the female vocals in the intro part. I think it could become something pretty cool.

Thanks on the comments so far, I really appreciate them!

As for the auto-tune, yes, it was something they requested.

I'm going to beg them to re-do the vocals also (though I have a feeling it wont get much better).

How would you guys make it a bit more full before that beat besides adding some low end to the piano? Just curious of some different ideas.

Back