Please critique this mix... my first song with vocals

Javo

I recorded this song from a friend he performed the vocals. I want your opinion on the overall mix, mastering, tracking, etc.
If you can comment on the vocal sound too I will appreciate it. What mic do you think I used? Please help me to optimize this mix.

Afterwards I will tell you what I used but I need your feedback, I don't want to bias your opinion. Thanks the song can be found at http://www.nowhereradio.com/javomusic/singles it has spanish lyrics so I don't pretend that you understand what it is about. The song is called Víctima del Amor

Sounds really good!
I like the way you started out lo fi than brought it up,nice touch.

As far as comments on the mix,I'll offer what I can.
Vocals are too loud,and have too much reverb on them.
It dosn't fit with the rest of the mix,reverb wise.

When he sings quiet it's just right.
Mabey some compression?

Production and writing are real good,I especially liked the keyboard work.

Nice job!

Pete

BTW-I don't have a clue what mic it is,how's about a hint!:D

Victima del Amor... isn't that an Eagle's song?

Love the lo fi intro transition into hi fi. The sounds are really nice and placed well. I don't like the left heavy pan of the vocals. The vocals have a good sound in my headphones, but there is a weird effect that's happening with them, I can't quite describe it- kind of like plosive distortion, especially on the tongue rolls. The doubled vocals get a little loud at time but with the panning it's hard to judge.

The backing tracks could use a bit more low end, I'm missing the kick drum and bass guitar below 100hz.

Damn, pan those vocals to the center- oh I already mentioned that.

Nice arrangement, good sounds (other than the weird vocal thing).

My guess for the vocal mic- AT835ST in M/S mode with a Sennheiser zeppelin, phase reversed at the console and summed? :)

Good job.

Jon

very nice mate,

Liked it.
Whenever there is a foreign language - (except german) - all vocals sound good anyway.

Liked the bridge / maybe its the chorus.

keep it up.
JA

This is an original song, I don't know if the eagles have a song with the same title. As far as the microphone used, it is a SOH 88-405, I borrowed it from my father, and he bought it for $40 it has the option to be used as wireless, I use it with cable and I'm almost sure it is a dynamic mic, don't think the peavy preamp has any phantom power. But I am searching for information about this mic and the SOH brand on the internet but have found nothing. My friends tell me it sounds nice, and I run it through a Peavey bass pre-amp, i know I can get better vocal quality. Thats why I am almost decided to buy a Studio Projects C1 and maybe a VTB-1 or DMP-3. Now can anyone tell me about the instruments? Does the keyboard, drums, guitar, bass sound nice? I expect every kind of critic so just shoot. JJT, aren't you hearing anything below 100 Hz?
By the way, if anyone have had any experience with this mic, just tell me.

definately pan vox to the center...that drives me nuts...haha. original, but the ears dont like it much either. ha.

i like the organ sound....even though it sounds kinda fake..i think it works.

drums, of course, sound fake - but it works for song. kick maybe could have some more low end i think.

guitar = not my favorite sound out of them. i like huge thick distortion though...ha

Back