Please Critique the Mix of this 80's-ish Rock Song, "Diamond Donna."

Crazy Luke

Here's a song about a stripper that was dating an ex-guitar player of mine. Please check for proper balances.

Attachments

• Diamond Donna Mix 23.mp3
    8 MB · Views: 31
Total 80's ish. Roth era Van Halen.

Bass is really big, fluffy and overpowering.

There are spots where there is a bad, warbling sort of distortion happening. An example is at around 2:07. Another bad one at around 2:43, but it happens in different places.

The section that starts at 2:14 is super cool!

Something I am not getting from the song is a sense of cohesion. I always want to feel like I am watching a band playing or at least listening to them jam in a single room, but here I am not getting a sense that anything is living in the same space. Rather, it feels like separate tracks that aren't really gelling together in that way.

Fun tune. I listened though a couple times. Enjoyed it. Makes me want to have a beer with my buddies :).

Thanks, kindafishy. Yes, I was going for a VH thing, with a dash of Frank Zappa. I referenced the mix on different speakers, and you are right - the sub bass/bass freqs on the bass guitar were up too much, so I backed of on that, and coordinated that adjustment with the mids and highs. I also brought up the guitars a bit, and made the lead vox less dry, which might glue everything together better.
LMKWYT of this recent mix.
thx

Attachments

• Diamond Donna Mix 24.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 9
Here is a better mix than the one above, as the bass isn't overpowering Let me know if you agree.

Attachments

• Diamond Donna Mix 25.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 16
Here is a better mix than the one above, as the bass isn't overpowering Let me know if you agree.

This is much better. Everything seems tighter and more glued together. Def not my type of music, but it's a solid mix IMO. I'd consider moving the ride out of the center of the mix.

mix in 2* (cah the " " button is broke! .. the number between 4 and 6!!! ) is clear,love the lead tone .. love the lead section :D .. yip nicey lead stuff going on there :D

is that a DR Rhythm ?

you got nice phrasing ...

I have two (number between 4 and 6) buttons on my computer. Are both of yours broken?...or are you on a phone? Wow, no 5 button on a phone would be terrible. How would you call all the Hollywood 555- numbers?

hahhahahhaha !! thinking about it now i could copied and pasted a 5 ... those 555 numbers are call girls aren't they? ;)

was gamma panel software that nicked the 5,it got hung on a shortcut key :D

I really love to listen to 80's style music. This definitely has that flavor from the start and all the way to the end. This song sounds really fun. I listened to your first and latest mix. Nice improvement. Guitar sounds good and right along with that 80's vibe. Not crazy about the sounds of toms, but they also match the era. Bass sounds distinct. Good job Luke

Here's a version where I may have whittled away some of the earlier problems. Let me know if you agree

Attachments

• Diamond Donna Mix 41.mp3
    8 MB · Views: 3
By the way 555 numbers are what Hollywood uses in movies because that exchange doesn't exist. :) It's like having 867-5309 as your phone number...they don't want to use real numbers in movies because of legal issues, so 555 was reserved.

Nice listen. Sorry I didn't get around to listen to the song earlier. So, the big fluffy bass is tamed and still sounds pretty darned good. Your vocals are amazing as always. Solos really hit hard. Man, hard to find a nit in the latest mix. Love the "bar scene" vocal bit. Nice touch that.

By the way 555 numbers are what Hollywood uses in movies because that exchange doesn't exist. :) It's like having 867-5309 as your phone number...they don't want to use real numbers in movies because of legal issues, so 555 was reserved.

Nice listen. Sorry I didn't get around to listen to the song earlier. So, the big fluffy bass is tamed and still sounds pretty darned good. Your vocals are amazing as always. Solos really hit hard. Man, hard to find a nit in the latest mix. Love the "bar scene" vocal bit. Nice touch that.
thx, BH

Back