please critique my studio!!

ninjakyle

I can't really put more money into it, although if you make a good enough case, I might get talked into it.

All the information is here.

Please let me know what I should do with my extra foam and any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Kyle
http://popple.us/studio/

I can't really see what it is regarding the foam you are using. It is probably not the best product for the goals you are trying to achieve, but like you said you are on a budget so the only suggestion from me would be to try and deal with the bass frequencies by covering some if not all your corners, floor to ceiling and wall to ceiling corners!

This is a good site to check out: http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

:)

thank you
i read that a few months ago
do you have any suggestions what to cover the corners with?
i have given up on finding 703 or rockwool or whatever . . . looking for cheap, local solutions, and if there isn't any, then I will just wing it with what I got.

thanks

As far as I know the rigid fiberglass and rockwool are the preferred DIY solution however if this is not readily available to you then using what you have will have to do!

Obviously the results may not be extravagant but surely it isn't going to do any harm!

:)

ninjakyle said:
right-o

doesn't anyone else have anything to add?
any suggestions?

Well, the paneling will allow for tons of reflections, and the acoustical foam will eat a little bit of the high frequencies, so I'd expect a boomy room with lots of flutter and echo.

Nice patterns with the tiles though. Creative.

The curtain looks to be too thin to be acoustically useful as well. The doors also look like the hollow kind.... you'll find they pass audio as well, and sometimes in the 100-120hz range will "ring".

the paneling is rough

the curtain is more just to cover up the storage (way too thin)

the doors are hollow
so the ringing is because of the construction of them? or because of reflections?

would putting foam on the doors help anything?

ninjakyle said:
the curtain is more just to cover up the storage (way too thin)

Yep

ninjakyle said:
the doors are hollow so the ringing is because of the construction of them? or because of reflections?

Looking at your photos, the ringing is from parallel walls, wood paneling, hollow doors, etc. You probably have many, many issues with that space. Foam will help tame the high frequencies, but do very little for the bass and mid-bass frequencies, which will give you flutter and loud standing waves.

ninjakyle said:
would putting foam on the doors help anything?

Probably not. MASS is what inhibits and resists sound. Sound is energy, transmissted through the air. You can either reflect it all over the place (difussion) to weaken it, or absorb it through mass. Foam, and fiberglass, absorb sound energy through friction, and dispersing the sound within the fiber or foam cells.

It's like a resister in an electrical circuit, or a narrow pipe in a large plumbing system.

which will give you flutter and loud standing waves.
Hey frederic, I wasn't aware that waves that are "standing", are audible at all. Hmmm...what am I missing...I thought......wait a minute...thats the problem!!@@#$%^$^%..thinking!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D I should have known better.. :p

i think i am just going to fill the whole room with water
i hope that will help
i just hope my microphone will still work

boy oh boy
i hope things turn out ok

Back