Please critique '1000 Kisses'

DC-XPL

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/jumeauxmusic.htm

You may need to be a registered user to download the MP3, but the hi-fi should be available to everyone.

The song is called '1000 Kisses', which is a lullaby that and I wrote, performed and recorded for my daughter. I'm not much of a singer, so I concentrated on getting the vocals to 'not suck'! Here is the gear list:

Drums: Boss DR-660, except for the snare. The snare is a sample from an acoustic drum CD called 'Beta Monkey'. Sequenced in Cubase VST 5.0.

Bass: '85 Fender Jazz Special through Art Tube MP and dbx 163x.

Acoustic Guitar: Martin DC-1E mic'd w/ Nady TCM1050 tube mic through a Rane MS1b preamp and slight compression w/dbx 163x. The Nady's tube was replaced by a NOS GE 5 star 6072.

Electric Gtr rhythm: Ibanez Talman through a 1960 Gibson Explorer tweed amp mic'd w/SM57 and ART Tube MP.

Lead Guitar: Gibson ES-135 direct through a V-Amp2. Effects added w/plugins.

All Vocals: Nady TCM1050 tube mic through a Rane MS1b, light compression with dbx 163x.

Gina 20 bit soundcard
Cubase VST 5.0
PowerMac 8600 w/G3 processor

Please critique the tracking and engineering as well as the song. All input is welcome!

pretty good mix man.

the song in general I liked. I thought the lyrics were pretty cheesey. I realize what the theme of the song is, and how it is sentimental but the wording is a bit cliche for me. The music is really good though. One thing i would like to hear is more acoustic guitar, less electric. the tone of that martin is great.

Thanks for the comments, Dar. I can definitely see how people might not be able to relate to the lyrics or find them cheezy. I've always put more effort into the music rather than the lyrics, and I think it shows here.

Yeah, the vocals are a little weak, but I think the recording overall is excellent. I personally don't find the lyrics too cheezy; but I have little ones, so I'm kinda into that sort of stuff. :)

(second listen) I hear what sounds like a dropout in the first second of the tune. Did you mix to analog 2-track?

No, I just didn't give myself enough slack time at the beginning of the song! The bass comes in a tad late. Good ears! If you listen carefully at the end, I got some click track bleed that almost ruined the song. Live and learn I guess...

Thanks for the feedback!

Back