Please Check These Out!

I listened to wasteland.It's catchy guitar driven tune with some good vocals on top....helluva guitar solo too...cool man....the mix seems a little muddy overall....the vox are cuting through ok but the rhythm guitars and drums seem to be getting lost in all the madness.....maybe a little more tweaking would define the instruments in the mix a little better.....it could just be my shitty speakers.;)

Anyway you look at it,this is a kick ass tune that I would like to hear live.I bet you guys put on a helluva a live show.

I'll try to check out some of the other songs later.Cool stuff man.

Just checked out Liquid and thats one funky rock tune....I dont know if you've ever heard of DC talk but this sounds a whoole lot like some of their stuff.....Rock driven with excellent vocals/vocal harmonies on top to sweeten it up.....shit....this is cool.

Still some of the same muddy mix problems as wasteleand but good stuff.

I agree with the above...

It's a good song, well executed,.. but the mix is muddy... cleaning it up and getting better separation would make the song all the more better... maybe using more distinct guitar sounds.. both the elecs (left and right) had very similar effects on them,... so much that they just ended up blending together indistinctly most of the time. Some of your other stuff had the same issues... (i.e. vocals upstaged by muddy guitars).

This is definitely well performed stuff, though.

WATYF

This doesn't suck at all (wasteland), but that lead almost sounds like it's not even a guitar.

FFFWWWWWEEEEeeeeee FFFWWWEEEEeeeee.

Doesn't suck, though.

Listening to Wasteland - kick ass tune! I agree with WATYF - needs a bit of separation. It also sounds very brick-wall compressed, almost too hot. Some (not all) of the guitars sound a bit metallic, as if they were recorded direct out of an effects box - I could be wrong.

I think some EQ sweeps to make the guitars/bass/kick play nice would make a big difference and help the instrumentation jump out at you a bit more.

Excellent tune, excellent performance, well recorded. A bit of work on the mix and you'll be getting laden in no time :D (sorry, just couldn't help it)

Listening to Undertow..

Cool vox arrangements
It's a pretty harsh mix, not much low mids here... Drums lack punch and presense. Bass is muddy and hidden. Guitars are pretty brittle.

It's a good, intense song. The mix leaves a little to wish for tho.

Listened to Wasteland.

Pretty darned good job. Excellent execution overall. Liked the guitars. Might just be me, but it didn't seem muddy. Real good vocal arrangement and excellent harmonies. Liked the backwards cymbal at :22.

I might recommend trying to bring the vox out just a bit. They get crowded out by the guitars. Maybe try some EQ cuts on some of the parts.

The guitar solo was very well played. A few too many notes bended (or bent??) for my taste.

The only downside on the material would be some of the lyrics. There's a good line here and there, but the hook ("Wastland") is a bit weak.

Overall though I thought this was a good song.

thanx alot for listening to our songs. and thanks for all the feedback. i'll try to address what i can remember.
i have heard some songs from DCTalk. mostly their released singles. ive liked them very much but remember them as being a bit lighter than what we do. again, ive only heard a few of their songs. As far as the guitar solo from Wasteland not sounding like a guitar i gotta agree. our guitarist(D King) used
a whammy pedal on that solo and plays some notes that cannot otherwise be achieved by a human.(the last note of the solo was achieved with the expression pedal to the floor and he found the note by sliding his glass slide up to the pick-up) the cats and dogs in the neighborhood havent been the same since the night we recorded that solo :) he's extremely talented and a bit of an experimentalist so i just hit the buttons and let him rip. to hear him play a bit more conventionaly listen to the last 2 songs on our site which arent quite as heavy. www.mp3.com/bitterchill
which brings me to this: if you listened to any of the first 3 songs and thought the rhythm guitars were muddy please listen to the last 2 and lemme know if you feel the same way. heres why: while he plays the solos on all 5 of the songs he has recorded rhythm guitars only on the last 2 (nextime, the low).
he has a very nice(and expensive) guitar rig while i jut use a preset off the roland 840ex. so for Wasteland, Liquid, and Undertow i played the rhythm guitars to save time. that probably has alot to do with the muddiness of the tone but im curious to see if you feel the guitar tones on the last 2 songs are cleaner. i think they are. we're currently retracking the first 3 song with him playing rhythm guitar so that should help to clean em up a bit.
thanx again for your time.
peace
garrett

Garrett,

Just listened to Nextime, and the guitars sounded 100% cleaner than on Wasteland - granted it's a different tone, but it sounds much, much better - maybe a bit thinner (maybe) but much better. Not to dog your VS's effects, but I'd highly recommend this route.

Another great song, by the way. I like it alot.

Thanks Sean,
Great to know you dig the tunes. When he finishes tracking the guitars on the first three songs i'll post em' and let you know.
take care
garrett

Nice stuff.....cool harmonies...especially on Nextime. For some reason Wasteland sounded different sonically than any other song. I wonder why. First few songs are muddy later songs seem better. All of the songs sounded like there was a veil over everything. Good playing and nice strong songs though. Get the mix fine tuned and these will be killer.

hey guys
thanks for the feedback. its great to hear that you dig the tunes. i know my production skills are a work in progress and feedback like this lets me know what i have to work on.
rob-
i checked out your mp3 and thought it was really well done. very organic and sparse. the performances are excellent and the drums sound really nice. i noticed it was mixed and mastered by Ty Tabor. not Ty Tabor of Kings X is it?
either way, very well done.
peace
garrett

garret --

Still listening to your tune!

Thanks for your comments re: my tune. Great to get the feedback. Yes, actually it is Ty Tabor of King's X. Ty mastered it and helped with the mix. I did the recording and rough mix. I learnt a lot by comparing my mix with his..great help with this being my first song recorded on my Korg.

thanks
Robert

hi Robert
thats very cool. it had to be a good learning experience. i really enoyed Ty's production work on the last King'sX
disc. Does he do mixing and mastering as a side business?
Also, i'm curious as to what model Korg it was recorded on. it sounds really clean.
take care
Garrett

robf said:
If you fancy a listen to something completely different maybe you'd like to check out my band's blues track at: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/433/the_virtual_blues_band.html

hey robf, I am a HUGE King's X fan, and I just stumbled upon your tune with Ty! Very cool!! thanks for sharing that..(even though I expected it to sound like Kings X) I don't always read the other posts, glad I did this time..

hey garret, I'll check out the tune later..

Listening to Next Time-I like the energy of the song-multi vocals sound good-they sound a little clipped-Drums have a definete home recorded sound-join the club....I dont hear the bass drum at all actually...snare could sound alot better too. I like the song-but the mix is kind of hurtin me-I dont know if its a low bitrate or what-sounds like its heavily limited-like not much dynamics. Good guitar solo. Hmm-hate to rag on ya but the mix doesnt seem to do justice to the song..

Listening to 'Wasteland'.. This is a great tune!! I don't like the sound of the guitar rhythm though, sounds direct imhop.. It also sounds crowded and the drums are a bit buried.. There is some harsh sound in some parts too.. This song can sound a lot better. The recording is not as good as the song..

The song itself is quite good, but I do not like the sound of the recording..

Back