Please check out my amateur recording, I am looking to improve AND upgrade!

drummer11

I did this recording about a year and a half ago.

Since then, I have improved at playing, my band has more songs, and I upgraded my drumset from a budget pacific drumset to a high end gretsch drumset.

I want to record again, and my main goal is to achieve a significantly better sound.

I currently am using an M-Audio ProFire 610 It has 2 preamps in the front, along with 2 line inputs in the back. So the maximum amounts of mics I can use are 4.

One of the back inputs uses the "ART Tube MP studio Preamp", the other I am still choosing on what to buy.

My first run, which you can hear on this recording, consists of a Rode NT2 Condenser (overhead) through the art preamp, 2 SM 57's ( 1 snare, 1 Kick) through the front ProFire Preamps, Shure SM58 ( for ride cymbal/crash), which I used through a cheap vocal mixer.

I used some of my sisters microphones, and was on a budget. However while money is always limited, I graduated college and got a better job so I am finally looking to upgrade.

-------

For this next project, using the same recording interface..

Rode NT2 on the bass drum (my bass drum is not ported)

Single SM57 on snare

2 Overheads, which I am still debating on what to buy.

I am considering the Rode NT5 or the Studio Projects C4... or maybe theres something better within that price range?

--------

I have a couple of questions too...

Can I damage the rode NT2 by placing it too close to a bass drum, if so, whats a safe distance?

If I use 2 overheads, would it be better to use the same pre amps as well?, i.e. I will use the ones in the front of the M-audio.

What preamp do you all recommend for a good price, for the fourth line in input.

Also, I would like the overheads to be good for acoustic guitar and piano as well, for other recording applications.

If any of you have any other suggestions or ideas about anything said here, I am definitely open to them!

PS: I have a lot of pieces on my kit, so individual drum recording is out of the question.

EDIT: Wont let me post the soundcloud link, I need 5 posts or more... still open to suggestions though.

Last edited:
Back