Please be kind

jmarkwolf

Can one (or more) of you experts answer a few questions that will (I hope) get me in a modern mode of thinking, regarding capturing analog data.

I am an old analog guy, resurrecting old tapes and recapturing the material to digital. My application is purely for home use, and jamming with my old band mates.

I've purchased used Tascam gear to make the tape transfers, but am becoming intrigued with the modern equipment. Once I recapture the old multi-track tapes, I'm considering the change to digital, at least for the recording medium.

I think I want to keep all my old outboard gear, two Tascam M-30 mixers, and various effects processors, at least for the time being, and so far the Alesis HD24 looks good to me.

#1 Do I understand it correctly that I can connect my Tascam mixers directly to the Alesis HD24 for recording and playback, just like any multi-track reel to reel?

#2 If I want to "edit" any tracks I can copy the data to a PC by various means, edit with commonly available waveform editing software, then copy back to the HD24?

#3 If the HD24 has hard drives, why would anyone want to transfer material to DAT (a process I've seen described on this forum)?

#4 Does anyone make a decent 16 track version of a hard disk recorder? I wan't more than 12 tracks but don't really need 24 tracks. Syncing 2 or more 8 track boxes sounds problematic from other posts on this forum.

All answers gratefully recieved.

Answers...

Can one (or more) of you experts answer a few questions that will (I hope) get me in a modern mode of thinking, regarding capturing analog data.

I am an old analog guy, resurrecting old tapes and recapturing the material to digital. My application is purely for home use, and jamming with my old band mates.

I've purchased used Tascam gear to make the tape transfers, but am becoming intrigued with the modern equipment. Once I recapture the old multi-track tapes, I'm considering the change to digital, at least for the recording medium.

I think I want to keep all my old outboard gear, two Tascam M-30 mixers, and various effects processors, at least for the time being, and so far the Alesis HD24 looks good to me.

#1 Do I understand it correctly that I can connect my Tascam mixers directly to the Alesis HD24 for recording and playback, just like any multi-track reel to reel?

#2 If I want to "edit" any tracks I can copy the data to a PC by various means, edit with commonly available waveform editing software, then copy back to the HD24?

#3 If the HD24 has hard drives, why would anyone want to transfer material to DAT (a process I've seen described on this forum)?

#4 Does anyone make a decent 16 track version of a hard disk recorder? I wan't more than 12 tracks but don't really need 24 tracks. Syncing 2 or more 8 track boxes sounds problematic from other posts on this forum.

All answers gratefully recieved.

1. YES :)
2. YES :)
3. It is not necessary, but If someone already has a DAT machine, DAT tapes are a lot less expensive than additional hard drives. :cool:
4. The cost of producing a 24 track machine is not that much greater than making a 16 track, and a 24 track will appeal to more professional users.
* You may also find use for the extra tracks, especially if you record stereo guitars, keyboards, drums etc. :D

It's nice not having to worry about running out of tracks, so I can put on a shaker, Tamborine, other percussion just to spice up the track. each on a separate channel and adjustable in the mix. I love doubling guitars and panning them hard right and left for a cool wide stereo effect. :cool:

Sincerely;

Dom Franco

I'm an old analog guy too!

DO NOT get rid of your outboard gear...

I use my HD24 along with a variety of tube pres and assorted goodies. You really should just get the HD24 cuz of the swell price, and it is nice to have the extra tracks. Besides, if you only wanna use 8 tracks you can record at a better rate etc.

I go direct out of my console to the HD24. Everything in between and after is mostly analog.

Back