Playing over Em7/B Chord

solo.guitar

I'm writing a song, and the chord progression goes something like this:

Em7/B, G, Em7/B, G, F, C, F, C....then starts over.

I'm trying to come up with a lead over it, but can't seem to find a good note to play over the Em7/B chord...which is:

(low to high):

x-2-2-0-3-3

The closest I've gotten is playing a G note over it but that still sounds kind of wrong. There's also a bass part in there, and it needs to play a note at that point too.

I don't really know any theory. Anyone out there who can give me some advice? :confused:

solo.guitar said:

I'm trying to come up with a lead over it, but can't seem to find a good note to play over the Em7/B chord...which is:

(low to high):

x-2-2-0-3-3

The closest I've gotten is playing a G note over it but that still sounds kind of wrong. There's also a bass part in there, and it needs to play a note at that point too.

I don't really know any theory. Anyone out there who can give me some advice? :confused:

If it was Em7/B I would start with an E and work around an Em/Gmaj scale.

Travis: Good advice. ;)

Yea an E sounds better than a G does. I don't know why but it didn't sound good when I tried it before. :confused: It's probably my POS guitar...it won't stay in tune for shit.

How bout simply trying the notes in the chord?...

E G D and B I think.

Any one of the four should sound correct depending on where you
are in the lead.

Marius

MariusV said:
How bout simply trying the notes in the chord?...

E G D and B I think.

Any one of the four should sound correct depending on where you
are in the lead.

Marius

Or E G B D.

Which is a plain Em7

Is this a 2nd inversion? :confused:

solo.guitar said:

(low to high):

x-2-2-0-3-3

I'll give you an improvising lead guitarist's Dirty Little Secret: If you play a note that's obviously wrong for the chord behind it, there's usually one that will at least marginally work either a half step or a whole step above it. Bend and hope! ;^)

$.02

l your obviously in the key of C ... when you play that E-7 with the B in the bass its a second inversion... and would be called iii chord iii's are usually subs for either I or V since you follow it with the G which is the V i'm going to go with the sub for I... so what i seems you have here is...

iii V iii V IV I IV I
sounds a little thin when i plunk it out on piano but still workable... incedently it's also what would be called retrograde .... or somewhat backwards as normally we see I-IV and V-I...make sense???

ggunn said:
I'll give you an improvising lead guitarist's Dirty Little Secret: If you play a note that's obviously wrong for the chord behind it, there's usually one that will at least marginally work either a half step or a whole step above it. Bend and hope! ;^)

works for me........i use that little trick quite a bit actually.

dementedchord said:
l your obviously in the key of C ... when you play that E-7 with the B in the bass its a second inversion... and would be called iii chord iii's are usually subs for either I or V since you follow it with the G which is the V i'm going to go with the sub for I... so what i seems you have here is...

iii V iii V IV I IV I
sounds a little thin when i plunk it out on piano but still workable... incedently it's also what would be called retrograde .... or somewhat backwards as normally we see I-IV and V-I...make sense???

After reding that a few times it kind of makes sense

I guess it's kind of a weird progression, especially compared to my usual I-IV-V progressions.

I was trying to write something in the key of C that had a 'sad' kind of sound without resorting to the predictable Am chord. Messing around with chord shapes led me to the Em7/B chord

Back