Playing back recorded test tone...meters wobble?

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 Questions, actually:

1) I set up my mixer to produce a 1K test tone at .316- checked at the RCA inputs of the 48. The meters read what they should (+/- 1dB depending on the channel) and were rock steady.

I recorded that to some NOS 407 (with one pass on the same section that I had used to test the tape when I got it). When played back, the meters read the same as the did before but they all wobbled just a tiny bit. Not even 1/8dB- maybe the needle's width at most. It wouldn't even register on an LED meter.

I checked with my MRL tape, too. Same thing.

Is that normal? If not, what might cause it?

2) After checking input voltage of the test tone, I switched in the DBX just to see. The second unit (channels 5-8) registered no change on the meters. The first unit, though, jumped 1dB on all four of its channels.

Seems very odd that the 2 units would behave differently with the same input voltage. And what little I know of DBX type 1, its probably something I should be concerned about. I haven't *noticed* any decoding errors, but I haven't really put the thing through its paces, yet, either. Should I be concerned about that? What might cause that?

And for general troubleshooting info, I have NO power conditioning, filtering, etc. here. The fridge is on a different circuit, but its onlly 15 feet away and on. Out here in the mountains, too, who knows what the quality of power is. The phone line only does 24k if that gives any indication...

:confused::confused: ;)

Thanks yet again!
Chris

Back