Playing a bass through a VOX AC30CC2

KKM1

I read someplace that Paul Mcartney used an AC30 at one point. If I plugged my bass into my new AC30CC2 and recorded it at moderate volumes would I hurt the amp at all? Would it sound good especially recorded?

There wa an AC30 bass model. Theyre extremely rare, but I have seen one, and heard of just a few others. Don't know if thats what he used or not, but its a strong possibility.

I wouldnt play too loud through the ac30cc. And it won't sound better than direct anyways.

H2H

you could, BUT..........

The AC30 isn't meant to be a Bass amp in stock form. Especially the top boost channel. THe coupling caps are WAY to "thin" for that. The normal channel would be best, but still you've got a .047uF coupling cap where other amps usually us a .2uF, the vox's value is up to 50 times less, and the higher the value the better the bass response........

I have the AC30CCH, and I have noticed that the speaker make a BIG difference in Bass response. My closed 2x12 with Greenbacks sounded very flubby and disgusting when the bass was cranked up. The vintage 30's sounded a bit better. I bought a Weber Blue Dog 30W Alnico and the Bass was MUCH improved- very distinct - even in an open back cab....

In the end you can always try it and see if you like it, but you pobably won't like it..........

Get the book "Beatle Gear" if you want to know the equipment Sir Paul has used through the years.

The Beatles used Selmers, Fenders, whatever they could get their hands on in the early years. McCartney then got a tall custom-made cabinet nicknamed "The Coffin", powered by a Quad hi-fi amp.

Shortly after the deal was made with Vox, McCartney got the first T-60 transistor amp and some AC50 and AC100 tube units for stadium shows. The girls screamed too loud for anything that could stand on a stage to cut through, so today we have board sound through venue PAs.

In the late 60's the Beatles got some rare prototype or limited production Vox amps like the Defiant and Conqueror.

Back