Played a PeeWee ValveKing at GC

TheRockDoc

very simple- it doesn't smell like ass, but it doesn't smell like roses.

It's better than many other products over the years of PeeWee, but what it really seemed to lack was genuine character IMO- Worth the money, had some good sounds, but nothing I would make a real record with.

BTW, used a Tele (I think it was an Americal Custom Shop they had on the shelf). That was an other factor for me as I often prefer humbuckers, but still had some good use for the Tele

I had one for a bit. I got a lemon though so eventually returned it. unfortunately i couldnt get another one in time for the same price so i ended up with a solid state....still havent filled my hunger for a tube amp, but the valveking was certainly enough to make me see the light.

its a decent amp. lots of room for easy upgrades too....speaker, tubes, etc.

probably could be alot better than stock.

Adam

Cool! Really want to testdrive one of these, as I think the bigger VKs are the best deal out there as to $ to Tone>!

yup, I picked up a 212 just for outside gigs cuz they really blast and sound pretty close to what I like to hear, I've got a couple others since but this guy still plays out in the summertime

I tried out a Peavey ValveKing 112 combo, several months ago at a local instrument store, then turned around and tried out a Peavey Classic 50/410 combo. With both combos, I played an Ibanez Artcore AG75 and Ibanez JTK2 Jet King through them, as I have those two guitars at home. From my experience, and given my tastes in tonal possibilities, I decided I liked the Classic 50/410 better than the ValveKing 112. If, however, somebody asked me to recommend a good guitar combo having usable distortion at lower volumes, without needing a pedal, I'd tell 'em to go with a Peavey ValveKing.

Personally, I own a Peavey TransTube 258 EFX combo, which has been a super practice amp, in the 3 years that I've owned it. I wouldn't use it for recording, or playing live, but it's a great alternative to plugging into my Line 6 Guitar POD 2.0. Between the amp. modeler and the modeling combo, I have a clear idea of which pedals I'll need, to achieve my desired sound, both live and recorded.

Matt

I went to Guitar Center to try out a Peavey ValveKing 112 combo. I really wanted to like it but the amp just plain sucked. The distortion channel had a nasal midrange, overly bright high end, and the lows were flubby. The clean channel was ok but it couldn't make up for the lack of a decent distortion channel.

I am not a Valve King fan either. They might be nice for the money, but the tone ain't happening for me.

I am, however, a Peavey fan. I would go find a used 5150 instead of a Valve King. ;)

metalhead28 said:
I am not a Valve King fan either. They might be nice for the money, but the tone ain't happening for me.

I am, however, a Peavey fan. I would go find a used 5150 instead of a Valve King. ;)

I keep wanting to like it and I keep wanting to like PeeWee... one of their endorsees is an old teacher of mine who I have a TREMENDOUS amount of respect for and integrity- I truly believe that he wouldn't have taken the endorsement just because. Maybe I'll re-look at the XXX/5150/JSX stuff. I played a 5150 a few years ago at a rehearsal. My playing lends much more to your style than the guy who was making it sound decent at the store with his chickin pickin type stuff- it just didn't really cut it for a blues playing to me. I have yet to blow away my old MusicMan or my little HiWatt Lead 20 an arms length from me.

You know how these trips to the store goes- "You'll be BLOWN away by this one"- then THEY blow instead of the amp :)

Try a 6505. I heard a guy TEARING it up with some blues riffs out of a 6505...
Maybe it is identical to a 5150. I am not sure if they made any changes or not, but it impressed me, and I have never been a pee-wee fan.

TheRockDoc said:
I keep wanting to like it and I keep wanting to like PeeWee... one of their endorsees is an old teacher of mine who I have a TREMENDOUS amount of respect for and integrity- I truly believe that he wouldn't have taken the endorsement just because. Maybe I'll re-look at the XXX/5150/JSX stuff. I played a 5150 a few years ago at a rehearsal. My playing lends much more to your style than the guy who was making it sound decent at the store with his chickin pickin type stuff- it just didn't really cut it for a blues playing to me. I have yet to blow away my old MusicMan or my little HiWatt Lead 20 an arms length from me.

You know how these trips to the store goes- "You'll be BLOWN away by this one"- then THEY blow instead of the amp :)

I'm not much of an 'endorsee' kind of guy, in fact I'm usually extra-cynical. Oddly, Gary Hoey is listed as an endorsee- he was an old teacher of mine and I still email with him on occasion. He is someone that I truly would accept his integrity, having had personal experience with him.

On the other hand, my 'old' rig for years was 2 Laney AOR 100's, and even though I have diversified my playing and taste significantly over the years, I have been using a DuoVerb recently in the foolish attempt to think I was going to be gigging with a cover band. Now I feel like I've been with a blow up doll (DuoVerb) instead of a real woman- so I need some T-O-O-B-A-G-E :)

I'll try the other PeeWee's soon...

TRD

i've got the 212 combo at home. the stock "valveking classically voiced" speakers are basically crap. i replaced them with 2 eminence "the governor" speakers and it made a HUGE difference. the amp is cheaply made (in china) which is why it's so "affordable", but with the speaker change it's a fantastic amp for home use. i wouldn't recommend taking it on the road. and if you're going to be playing for hours at a time i'd change the speaker wire. they run it right through the 6l6 tubes, which will eventually cause it to melt. make your own longer wire and run it around the tubes.

Back