playback problem 388

HomeGos

Ive read on that forum it may be the fuses...

Ive recorded with that machine and Ive been doing ok, sometimes it got hard, specially when I change reels, to make the motors spin, when I press play it does nothing, it does not turn, and how I love to watch them turn!

Yesterday it was impossible and Im in the middle of a session for a band!

it seems the capstan does not get enough power to roll, it rolls very slow, and the pich roller does not pinch and go up when I press play,

The reels move a little , like half a centimeter, but nothing happens.

Ive changed to new RMGI 35 Tape and I clean a lot, so dont have idea what can be done.

I'll try to help.

With no tape reels on the 388, lift the right tension arm. Does the capstan shaft spin?

We are trying to find out if your capstan belt is bad.

Hi!

I´ve lift the right arm but nothing happens, the capstan shaft does not spin

u think it may be the belt ?

Awesome job, shedshrine! :D:D:D

HomeGos, it is really not hard to replace the belt and shedshrine's tutorial shows you everything you need to know. The only other thing I might add is that if the old belt has turned gooey you'll have some cleanup to do, but that's no big deal.

Another thing you can do to support that it is a belt problem before you take the bottom panel off is to lift that tension arm again and listen carefully to see if you can hear the capstan motor turn on. If the motor is spinning, but the capstan shaft is not, then I am extremely confident you'll find the belt is broken.

Last edited:
Hi Shed and sweetbeats

Its great to have this help so handy

I am looking for a capstan belt, well I ll call tascam spain tomorrow, maybe Im lucky ,anyway I ve seen them on eBay for 10 euros

Im afraid if I dont listen to the motor it may be a motor problem?

From the first time, Ive had this problem but then I could manage to make the 388 running, this been for 3 o 4 months , now it seems something finally stopped working. I really want the 388 to be my workhorse for a little project studio. this band I was recording, and getting paid for ,,, will have to wait for the belt... and maybe a new pinchroller.

Hey Heads are new ( 200 euros I paid for them ) and the guy had another head so anyone interested?

Was that 200 euros for just the record/play head?

The capstan motor is very quiet, but I think it would be aa good idea to turn your 388 over, take the bottom panel off and have a look like in shedshrine's pictures. That way you know if it is the belt, something else, or the belt AND something else. :(

Don't worry, we'll get it going again, but I do think it is a good idea to look underneath and see what is happening.

How can we help you do this?

Yes 200 euros for the head...and the guy had two, i bought one

I paid 75 euros for the 388, the motors were not working and my tech fixed for free

Ok so bizarre to fine a 388 in spain and a great deal, took daddys car and drove 500 ks
y

Finally Ive opened the 388 to find the belt was ok, what I didnt like was some caps bleeding , c412 and c402 have melt specially the orange one into the blue and cylindric one, and this ones are in the control board? just above the motors from behind

Then I have some nice bleeding on the power supply boards c115, c117 and c118

Ok , finally I have like 20 small condensers bleed in the mixer, dbx boards?

Id love to recap but havent recap in my life, only messed with some guitars changing pickups and thats far more that I can do any advise from my recap guru Cory?

Do you think the c 412 + c 402 bleeding can make the machine stop, it does not playback anymore.

when I lift the right arm I dont hear a sound, the capstan shaft does not move but the belt seems ok, it may be the capstan motor?

Back