Playback of audio stutterz

Merverus

hey mastaz...

i record digital audio from my synth to my lynxone soundcard, installed in a PII350 running win98. when i play back (in cubase) what i've recorded (in cubase), tha playback occasionally stutterz (IE - skipz by fractionz of a second) with some crackling). i know this is a problem with playback, not recording because

a) when i playback from windowz sound recorder playback is smooth (but when i playback from windowz media player, same problem). also, same problem occurz when i play back audio drum loopz from fruityloopz.

b) tha stuttering does not repeat itself in tha same positionz on subsequent playbackz

c) there is no visual evidence 4 any noise in tha visual depictionz of tha wavez.

any thoughtz? i cannot find any difference in tha configuration of windowz media player v. windowz sound recorder.

thnx in advance guyz!

I got the same problem a few months ago after I got a new comp.
I cant remember exactly what I did about it but I think it was definetly something abot the harddisc. I will check my notes on that prob for. Maybe I'll find something to help you.

hey spray...

that would b wicked! tho i suspect that the hard disc is not 2 blame because

a) tha hard disc light doesn't flutter when i'm reading even long .wav filez, suggesting that tha hard disc is not being used once tha file has been loaded

b) playing .wav filez with windowz sound recorder workz perfectly, but playing them with other applicationz is a prob.

i'm suspecting there's some windowz-config problem, tho i've scoured control panel and tha settingz in my applicationz and can't find anything...

but lemme know :)

pea[c]e

Follow the troubleshooting tips listed in the documentation for your card and software. There a lot's of things that can cause this symptom.

First thing to try is to lower any video or graphics acceleration you may have set in Windows. That fixes things for a lot of folks.

hey pglewis...

interesting idea re: acceleration. gave it a whirl (shut off all acceleration) and no difference (problem persistz).

consulted troubleshooting first thing, but no help there either. still waiting 2 hear back from lynx (sound card manufacturers).

i'm wondering why mp3z play fine, while .wav filez show this problem.

ah well, thnx 4 tha thoughtz... any other takerz?

You already did a good job of narrowing it down to being a playback issue. Here's an interesting variable: it plays fine in Windows Recorder. Since most of the other apps you use are probably using DirectX, there may be something wrong with your DirectX installation. Run the diagnostic in "C:\Program Files\DirectX" (it might be in the Setup folder there, too). Along with a ton of other things, the "System" tab should list your DirectX version. The latest version is 7.0a, and is available as free DL from Microsoft.

The other likely culprit is some sort of hardware conflict. You've ruled out many of the other possibilities, so it may be time for the chainsaw approach. Remove every card from your system except your lynx and video card. It's a good way to find if some other piece isn't playing nice or if there was an IRQ conflict. Make sure you have copies of your latest drivers for all your hardware in case you need 'em when you put stuff back.

hey pg et al...

well, the problem has... evolved. cubase now playz back audio without any problem after i

a) upgraded 2 tha latest directX, and
b) increased tha buffering HUGELY.

the problem with tha increased buffer is, obviously, increased latency. i'm at 186ms, which strikez me as ridiculous by reference 2 my relatively unburdened PII 350 (win98)and by comparison 2 tha same system operating under win95 (where my latency had been much lower).

also, playing back audio with fruityloopz remainz problematic (stuttering and crackling) even with very high buffering.

directX self-diagnosticz suggest that everything is fine, but strangely, my graphicz adaptor keepz warning me (upon startup) that an older version of directX is being used by tha system (i'm using 7a).

so i think that maybe tha buffering-solution in cubase implicatez tha hard disk as causing tha crackling/stuttering, whereas tha fruityloopz issue suggestz that directX is somehow also 2 blame.

i'll keep u and otherz having tha same problem posted.

any further ideaz r welcome... and thank u so much 4 ur help so far...

pea[c]e

The Solution!

hey all!

so with the outstanding support of my soundcard's manufacturer (www.lynxone.com), i have identified and solved the problem. it wuz an irq conflict, solved by unceremoniously disabling tha offending hardware. 2 bad i skipped that day in rock-star school where they taught staggered-memory allocation.

hope this helpz anybody having similar problemz.

thank u 2 pglewis and 2 sonusman (both of whom correctly guessed tha problem) 4 their help.

pea[c]e

Back