Play an instrument to be a producer?

Girlnezz

Do you have to really know how to play an instrument to be a successful producer?

Cuz I don't know how to play anything...I used to take piano lessons when I was 9 yrs old.Took it for just a short time..prolly for only 3 months or so. Now I wish I stayed longer so I can producer better beats. I only make tunes through my beats as you all know. That's why ya'll can prolly tell right away I don't know how to play an instrument...lol. For those who haven't heard my beats..

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/informusicmusic.htm

not really...

but it does help. I have been involved in a many debates concerning the level of creativity that may be "lost" when you theoretically understand. This might be due to the fact that when the concept becomes simpler, you don't work as hard to perfect it. Kind of like many rappers/singers whose output becomes incresingly more shallow over time. I have played the keys by ear for about 4 years and had started to take lessons merely for theory purposes...and it personally has helped me get over those chord progression/change stumbling blocks, but many listeners argue that my music had more feeling and creativity before I gained a true understanding of what I was doing other than just doing what I feel....

Up for grabs debate I would say...

-Humble-

hell naw all you have to do is beable to hit ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+s, ctrl+c, ctrl+v, spacebar, enter, right click and select. oh but most important you have to be able to import samples. if you cant do all that then just give up now. lol:D

you don't have to know how to play an instrument really. i always tell people i play the keyboard, but i "don't really play". You would be better off learning to recognize the 7 notes and thier sharps and flats by hear. That way once you hear something in your head, you could easily find it on the keyboard and eventually "finger" a melody out.

That Texas Fella
sugaty@aol.com

I don't "play" anything. There's "lead" players and "rhythm" players. For hip hop, hardly nothing is "lead." Mostly just "rhythm" joints looped. Anyone can do rhythm playing, whether it be keyboard or guitar or whatever. I just fuck around on the keyboard until I get a melody that I like, then I record it and add the bass and other things by programming the synths to fit the melody. There's a couple of songs that I did "lead" on, and I could never play those songs again to save my life, simply because I was just pressing keys that sounded good to me, and luckily I was able to record it all on one take. The only genres it might be helpful to play lead on is like country or rock, usually just for intro or chorus or interludes, but hip hop/dance/electronic wise, you just gotta know how to play 3 or 4 keys in an order that gives it some kind of rhythm.
But even if you can or can't do that doesn't make you a producer. You could easily have someone do instruments for you, your job's just to make the whole bundle sound good.

Hope all that makes sense.

You dont have to know how to play to be a PRODUCER
but if you want to be a GREAT PRODUCER, learn...

everyone is right in what they stated, yet the problem here is "Your fooling yourself" after the NEPTUNE, SWIZZ BEAT fads are over where does it leave you. If all you do is repetitive of what they did, where does your INDIVIDUALITY come in ?

It wont, cause you'll be to busy trying to sound like everyone else.

The point is, knowledge of playing puts you on a different pedestal, if you know how to sample that's cool, but if you know how to play/interpret the sample yourself --- that's even better.
(clearance wont be so bad:D )

but seriously, learn bit by bit, cause a computer only helps you put it together, YOU yourself gives it LIFE, and learning to play will set you apart from everyone else as well as sound good.

DRE knows NOTES, he doesnt play but he has that skill over most
( 50's "In the Club" the string line is a 3 note orchestra horn hit)
TIMBERLAND -- knows structure and arrangement

@mstudio...

I couldn't have said it better...
For longevity purposes, at least comprehending some of the theory underlying what you do will ring volumes. I view it kinda like school. If you want to be a doctor you have to put in the work to learn the basics just to be qualified and then comes the real work, you continue to nurture your knowledge and expand on it in order to put insurance on your placement in the field. Music is no different, if you want to see results you must be willing to invest in your product...

-Humble-

That's exactly what I'm saying

Music should be no different, for someone to be great at anything it takes practice, patient and perfection.

Michael Jackson isnt the best at dancing cause he can spin
Whitney Houston isnt the best JUST cause she can sing
Dr. Dre isnt the best cause he JUST makes hot beats
Teddy Riley isnt the New Jack King cause he made a new style
BabyFace isnt the best writer/musician cause of TENDER LOVER

they all honed in and practiced on their skills and No-one can take that away from them.

I wanna leave yall with this:

Stop taking this shit for granted, with the gift of music (if you have it) you have a power no one can take away, if you dont nurture it, take care of it, protect it and take it serious, it's like neglecting a baby. To 'GIRLNEZZ" the original poster

become the producer you want, but dont get mad, when more talented, well practiced cats come up and leave your style in a dust, I'm not wishing hate on you, but just droppin some gems for you that's really real. One.

M-Studio
Bliss
Writer, Producer, Arranger, Composer, Engineer

That's exactly what I'm saying

Music should be no different, for someone to be great at anything it takes practice, patient and perfection.

Michael Jackson isnt the best at dancing cause he can spin
Whitney Houston isnt the best JUST cause she can sing
Dr. Dre isnt the best cause he JUST makes hot beats
Teddy Riley isnt the New Jack King cause he made a new style
BabyFace isnt the best writer/musician cause of TENDER LOVER

they all honed in and practiced on their skills and No-one can take that away from them.

I wanna leave yall with this:

Stop taking this shit for granted, with the gift of music (if you have it) you have a power no one can take away, if you dont nurture it, take care of it, protect it and take it serious, it's like neglecting a baby. To 'GIRLNEZZ" the original poster

become the producer you want, but dont get mad, when more talented, well practiced cats come up and leave your style in a dust, I'm not wishing hate on you, but just droppin some gems for you that's really real. One.

M-Studio
Bliss
Writer, Producer, Arranger, Composer, Engineer

Back