Plate 140 Plug-In for UAD-1

xfinsterx

Anyone with some exp. with the Plate 140 Plug-In for UAD-1 want to give a review?

Id like to demo it but all ready did, and never used while i had the demo..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ive heard from a alot of ppl that its great.

What do you guys think?

-Chris

It's one of the best UAD-1 plugs and probably the best non-convolution reverb plugin.

Someone once called it acoustic crack, and I agree.

Hey Chris, I pretty much did the same, demo'd the Plate plug, but didn't take notes, or it just passed by without really taking it through the paces.

BTW, UA has a 20-25-30 sale on plugs this month!! save 20% +$25 off per card. woo hoo.

Seems the plate is the one must have, then the Neve, precision sets, by personal opinion at least.

T

I really try not to get all excited about plug-ins. Too easy to think the next plug in is really going to make a difference - and you blow a lot of cash...

That said, I love the Plate 140. (The 1176LN rocks too if you need a comp).

xfinsterx said:
I bought it today.
Its silly...silly good...im silly.

The drum bus witha triggered snare and toms ....holy fuck.

Acoutic guitars, vox!!!!

I had no idea i was needing this reverb so bad.

LALALALALALA I can't hear you, I don't have the money for it, LALALALALALALALALAL

1tonio said:
:D

now whats a better decision: PL or 1176LN??

I dont like 1176's, that much. I know when ones needed, and when it is....it's useful, but for me thats rare.

The PL is cool. Its my final plug every time.

If youre a vintagey, rootsey, organic type dude id get the 1176.

If you are a modernist id opt the PL.

Hate mailers please reply.

xfinsterx said:
I dont like 1176's, that much. I know when ones needed, and when it is....it's useful, but for me thats rare.

The PL is cool. Its my final plug every time.

If youre a vintagey, rootsey, organic type dude id get the 1176.

If you are a modernist id opt the PL.

Hate mailers please reply.

1176 & PL are different tools - almost like comparing a wrench to a screwdriver.

A more cost-effective approach to PL is Voxengo's Elephant. Great limiter. I liked PL a lot when I had the demo, I just didn't think it was worth $200 compared to Elephant at around $60. Check around some other threads about software limiters at Gearslutz. I agree with the general concensus that both are great, but PL softens the transients a bit while Elephant preserves them. Sometimes you want to soften them, sometimes not. I think the softer transients from the PL create more "vintage" vibe than the sound of the 1176.

If you need more than a db or two of limiting, a better bet would be to hit a nice comp like the 1176 first. You can hit that harder with less damage.

I'd do the 1176 & Elephant - it would sound great and cost less than PL.

Just one man's opinion. Hope it helps. :)

Last edited:
Isn't Elephant only for windows? I'm on a MAC, but I'll check it out.

Agreed,1176 and PL has different uses. I'm sure Chris is on the same boat that we were not refering to them for the same use.

I do have the 1176 SE plug and use it often, so getting the LN may be redundant.

I'm using DP,and usingthe stock MW Limiter is good, but not too happy with the "sound" that is has. The PL demo was rather good for my uses, but for the price even w/ the sale/discount it doesn't have dithering algo's.

i like the plate 140, it is my go to reverb. it is kind of 2d sounding though. the 1176 is my go to comp for acoustic guitars. I like elephant more than PL. I like elephant followed by TLS pocket limiter sometimes.

i'm a big fan of that pocket limiter, doesn't seem to use alot of cpu and just does the job, Waves L3 is a bit too heavy for the cpu and kinda costy

but how many Plate 140's can you run on one card? only one, or several?

i'm thinking about OR upgrading my pc OR getting a dsp card

still wondering what would be best

earworm said:
i'm a big fan of that pocket limiter, doesn't seem to use alot of cpu and just does the job, Waves L3 is a bit too heavy for the cpu and kinda costy

Just checked on my system - an instance of Plate 140 uses 24% of a card's resources. I generally set up one instance of it on a group channel and run everything through it, except maybe having a second one for vocals. Still leaves me room for a few 1176LN's (those use about 14% each).

earworm said:

upgrade the pc if it's more than 3 years old. get new card if it's less than 3 years old and upgrade in 6+ months.

Back