Planting Trees By Candlelight

Not a bad recording.

Both the acoustic guitar and vocal, while not bad, are missing some low-midrange warmth. The vocal is a little hot in the mid-2K range.

The slide guitar in the background was a nice touch. A little soft, but not bad.

the phrasing was kind of awkward, i'd work on that first. the recording was fairly good to my ears. i enjoyed the slide guitar as well as the delayed instrument on the right. nice sound you got going there. spruce up that fade out too, it's rather sudden.

I'm fine with the phrasing but I think the vocal track is a little loud.
Some colloquial touches that sit well with my ear & history.
Nice work Matcham.

Thanks heaps for the feedback, guys. A bit to think about here. I was gentle with the EQ but maybe the exciter on the vocal track has lifted the presence at the expense of warmth. I know my phrasing is somewhat idiosyncratic. It always is.

Great to hear from you again, Ray, and to share our Aussie heritage. I think you've mentioned a couple of times that I mix the vocal too loud. I think of that when I mix. There is quite a difference between my monitor speakers and headphones that I'm still learning to adjust for. Different codecs also make a difference. Your feedback helps so thanks.

Sounds good to me, I love the natural sound of the lyric and the accent coming through. Sounds good on headphones nice balance and ethereal sounding slides.

Back