Plans for remanufacture of Wurlitzer/Rhodes Elec Pianos?

mrclay

With the vintage Rhodes and Wurlitzer electric pianos moving at over $500 on ebay (not that ebay doesn't overvalue everything, but..) it seems like some manufacturer would get back into the business of making these beautiful instruments.. How much were they new?

I posed this same question to a good friend of mine at Sam Ash Music stores in NY and was
informed that tech-heads at Fender were in collaborations with a certain unnamed Co. to
maufacture the original Rhodes to it's previous standards. This was to be made available at the end of the year. I tried searching the web for verification, but to no avail. We will just have to wait and see.
I purchased mine back in'79 for bout $700.00
and would never ever part with it. If i get any bonafied updates, i surely will keep you informed!

I heard the same rumor ... and thought my brother would think this was way cool since he had one in the 70's. I was surprised when he told me that there was no way in hell he'd ever go back to a Rhodes. He's got a QS8 which he thinks sounds just as good and wouldn't go back to lugging a huge animal like that around ... plus when he started talking about what a pain it was to replace the tines ... I had to get him a beer! :)
Anyway ... don't know what that means, if anything. One guy's opinion only, of course ... so this is not a Rhodes-bash by any means. I thought it would've been cool and nostalgic to have one here in the studio, which is why I mentioned it to him in the first place. Since he's the keyboard guy, not me ... i think I'm gonna get a reverb unit instead :D

[This message has been edited by BigKahuna (edited 05-04-2000).]

Back