planning to attend class...need advices

neojjjk

Hi.
Friends ,i am confused now.. I like to learn keyboard /piano ..I called a teaching center ..they told me that ,they have two types of classes
one is piano .
they told me piano is for church based use & for those who are appearing for grade exams..
&
the other is keyboard class ...they told me kb class will include all stuffs ,like scales notes chords etc ,they will teach some popular songs in this also ...

which one to choose ..I am learning music to get some idea about how music composing works ..please advice asap friends

Thanks

Take the first one. . .

The first one will be a bit more formal, as grades are official documents for technical ability and require a cirtain level of music theory, being interested in composing this will probably benifit you more.

The second one will be a kinda messing about for the sake of messing about kinda thing, basically for people who want to play just becuase. . .
although it may get you better quicker, the first choice will get you better than the keybord class could ever get you in the long run.

Take either, they can't teach you piano or keyboard without teaching the basics, scales, chords, reading music, etc. And the basics is what you need to compose music. Enough so that you can translate what you hear in your head to a song.

thanks for very fast replies....are you sure that basic knowledge is enough to compose ? .. or do I need deep level of knowledge ? ...how long will it take ? they told me they will take 8 classes in a month ..
still I am confused about the choice -- piano / keyboard class ?

are you sure that basic knowledge is enough to compose ? .. or do I need deep level of knowledge ? ...how long will it take ?

I don't think these are questions that can be answered. One person can sit down at piano and write a song without any training. Another person can play for years and never be able to write a song. "What can you do?" Only you can answer that.

Take the second one and get to grips with the basics. But in the end, you won't need classes to be able to 'compose' though they can be helpful. You need good listening and persistence ~ and the willingness to make decisions and stand by them.

Ask the person offering you the choices.... if they can't explain the difference and recommend you take path A or path B, then you don't want to be dealing with them any way.

Basic customer service...

thanks for very fast replies....are you sure that basic knowledge is enough to compose ? .. or do I need deep level of knowledge ? ...how long will it take ? they told me they will take 8 classes in a month ..
still I am confused about the choice -- piano / keyboard class ?

This question is all very relative and also relies on "your" definition of "compose". Beethoven was able to "compose" music after halfway through his career becoming deaf. Mozart was able to compose as he was a musical savant. The Beatles knew relatively no theory and where able to "compose" timeless masterpieces, while other modern composers like John Williams and Eric Whitacre know theory like the back of their hands.

I guess what I am trying to say is that by learning piano, you will learn basic theory like scales and chords and will be able to "compose" basic material on the piano. You may even write amazing works, but may not know what is exactly going on. Their is diferances in composition. Music technically can be boiled down to math, and it can be emotional. You can write a piano sonata just by knowing that instrument and no theory and make it sound amazing. You can also know theory amazingly and not know a single instrument and based on the "math" of music, write a song that will sound pleasing.

I guess when it all comes down to it, I would STRONGLY recommend taking a class in music theory in conjunction with taking piano lessons. You will find they will strongly supliment each other and knowing what is going on in the music will help you in composition.

^^^ Not planning to make a sonata ...I like pop music a lot ..like MJ ,savage garden etc... which is the best choice for pop style ? KB /piano /piano with theory /KB with theory ?
please advice asap

Theory will give you a better idea of how the music you play is structured/performed. I would simply consider it as the common "language" between all musicians alike. If you are considering composing, learning theory would be strongly strongly encouraged.

Learning from the start won't be much harder if you at least know/learn how to read music, perform chords, scales, arpeggios etc. If you just want to know how to simply play pop music though, the keyboard class should cover what you need. Just know that some basics are essential: keeping a rhythm (note durations, tempo, meter), note/chord-reading, and of course - practice!

^^^ I would like to compose in pop style... Thats my dream ..
is it possible by learning KB /piano /piano with theory /KB with theory ?

please answer asap...

Last edited:
Keyboard and piano are played the same; they are basically the same thing. It appears the two classes concentrate on different styles of playing. I personally don't see hwy the school describes them so differently like that. You have to learn the basics for either one. Just pick, either class will help you to learn scales and chords. Then it's a matter of experimenting to learn how to write pop songs.

Good luck.

^^^ I would like to compose in pop style... Thats my dream ..
is it possible by learning KB /piano /piano with theory /KB with theory ?

please answer asap...

Like I mentioned earlier, there really isn't a right or wrong. Chili is right, either choice will teach you the basics of the piano/keyboard. So since your more interested in pop, I'd say go for the keyboard class so you will be focusing more on music that interests you. There are many musicians who have never took a lesson, theory or anything like that and were able to self teach themselves an instrument and make amazing music. However, I strongly believe in learning as much as possible about what you love to do. That's why I suggest theory. Besides, in the long run, it will help you make much more elaborate and sometimes creative music.

You can give a man a bunch of logs and he may be able to build a log cabin. You can give a man a bunch of logs and an architecture book and he could build a mansion... Sure that's a pretty crappy analogy, but I think the concept behind it works out, lol.

Good luck with whatever you do choose to go with.

^^^ Thank you very much chili & phriq.. you guys really helped me a lot .. can you suggest me some good theory books ?

^^^ Thank you very much chili & phriq.. you guys really helped me a lot ..

Yup, and also take music theory if it's available. Learning to play an instrument is a good start, but learning music theory will help pull it all together. Again, it's not necessary to write songs, but it can help.

hi guys,after all your suggestions
I have joined a keyboard class ,learned notes,major and minor scales ,major &minor chords,family chords ,relative major ,minor etc ..played some BGM's ,songs ..
my goal is to compose pop songs ..is there any course for learning the composing of songs ?
please share your knowledge

hi guys,after all your suggestions
I have joined a keyboard class ,learned notes,major and minor scales ,major &minor chords,family chords ,relative major ,minor etc ..played some BGM's ,songs ..
my goal is to compose pop songs ..is there any course for learning the composing of songs ?
please share your knowledge

There are a lot of books on songwriting but I don't know of any specific classes anywhere - no on e in your keyboard class could recommend anywhere? I have a good book called the Guitar players Songwriting handbook or something like that - goes over song structures, chord progressions, etc...

Find a local songwriters group and join. They will probably have seminars and workshops you can participate in .

Look at NSAI, also. They might have a local chapter. Don't think that because it has 'Nashville' in the name that it is only for country music, it covers songwriting in general.

Back