Planning on AT4047 and AT4050 for my next mic purchases; thoughts?

Whoopysnorp

I'm in the middle of making a bunch of all-around upgrades to my recording equipment. First step was to pick up an old Tascam M320 board (the preamps and EQ are a step up from what I had been using, and are quite decent imo). Next I ditched my M-Audio Delta cards and started using the RME Fireface 800. I'm about to buy the Focusrite ISA428 preamps, and later on I'm planning on adding that Sytek 4-channel unit to my rack (so I'll have four nice transformer-coupled preamps and four nice transformerless pres available in the same rack). It's time I finally own some nicer large-diaphragm condensers as well. I now have a pair of the Peluso CEM6C small-diaphragms, so I am covered as far as 'nice' SDs go for the time being. I also have a pretty nice array of dynamic mics now: MD421, Beta 56s, SM7, e602, e609. However, my only large-diaphragm condensers are the MXL V69M and the CAD M37.

I'm looking at the AT4047 and the AT4050 as my next mic purchases. My reasoning there is that, much like with the preamps I plan on having, this will give me access to the warmth of a transformer-based design (the 4047) as well as the clarity of a transformerless design (AT4050). It'll be nice to have a multipattern mic in the arsenal as well. The other thing is that both of these mics are sold where I work, so I can get a nice fat discount. Does anybody want to caution me away from these? From what I've read it doesn't seem like they'd be terribly similar mics, so I think it would be worthwhile to get both...

Even though they're supposed to sound so different in theory ... in actual practice, I think a lot of the AT mics sound surprizingly similar to one another. :D

But that's just me. You could certainly do a lot worse than having a bunch of AT condensers on hand -- that's for sure.

If it were me, I'd just get a Shure KSM-44 and call it a day (not to mention the dynamic mics along with the V69 are all transformer balanced).

If you get a nice fat discount, I say go for it on the AT's. However, I would get a pair of either one of those instead of two different ones. That way you have a nice pair of LDC's.

The KSM44 is also a good idea. If you get a discount on those, snag one.

Back