placement in in mixdown chain of final compressor

Dante DePanicis

Hello, just got into this world of mixdown and have a question (s). I'm using a 488 mk III and mixing down to a CD. Where do I put the compressor in the mixdown chain? I also have a BBE and EQ in the same chain. Also, I have the Alesis 3630 (?) comp, an ART comp, and the Berhrigner Virtualizer (?)multi-band comp/exciter/gate -- you know the two-space one with the confusing operating instructions. Which one should I use to compress my entire mix? Can somebody recommend a good comp for my mix? Any help would be appreciated.

Newbie Dante

Last edited:
I wouldn't put anything at all in the signal chain, unless it's needed for a particular application!

Look at the FMR Audio RNC for an outstanding compressor at a modest price.

Nicely balanced mix, Ed -- maybe slightly bushy in the upper mids for my taste, but that's being picky....

Not sure what it has to do with my point though, which was that Dante should be sure he actually needs a compressor (any compressor!) on the mix before he straps one across the mix buss just to have it there! (ie, minimal signal chain)

Dante, about the only one you listed that MIGHT be suitable for 2 buss compression is the Behringer Virtualizer. Is that unit stereo or mono?

You might consider just mixing straight to the burner and ripping those mixes to a computer and using software to do any "mastering" you need to do.

Ed

Thanks for the listen Bruce. The "edge" is probably more from the 5 minute "mastering" job I did with the L2. It ALWAYS seems to bring out the upper mid crunch by the time the mix get's up to a decent level. Oh well, that is a one hour mix of the song.

But I agree that not using 2 buss compression is a good idea when mixing. You have to be VERY careful to do that, and usually you would want something pretty high end to do it with, like a Cranesong STC-8!

Ed

Yeah - just that slight edge could be fine-tuned out, then it would sit very well.... not sure most would notice, though.

What IS that tune anyways? Was it a band creation or a song spoof?? Just a lark??? Nice production!

Something I track 4 or 5 years ago that the lead guitar player is paying me to mix (10 songs in one day!). Nobody but me had heard all the tracks for all the songs.

It was sort of a spoof type of thing. I believe they wrote the music first and noticed that bridge part used the same chord progression as Crazy Train. This band used to be pretty zany and they just started throwing in all the other Ozzy stuff for the fun of it. Worked out pretty well really I thought. :)

The mix was more by luck. I was running out of time to mix it and needed to get it done yesterday. I had just finished up another mix and had exactly one hour left to do this one. I had enough time to change the snare gate settings, tweek the reverb decay a bit, adjust the delay time on the voice and lead guitar, and get the vocal compression together, then about 20 minutes to get levels together then had to run the mix! "Mastering" was Wavelab's SRC, RenEQ 4 band (only needed a high shelf adding a couple db of 12k and above to "air" it out a tad....) and a L2 which never did more than about 5dB of gain reduction in a couple spots. I was reasonably pleased with how it turned out for such a quickie job on everything.

Too bad the band broke up right after we tracked this CD....:( But isn't that what happens 50% of the time anyway? LOL

Ed

While mixing I try to fix any problems at the individual track level. If I do any mastering, it is done after transfering the tracks to the PC. This way I still retain the orginal mix for future mastering options.

Sonusman, can we look forward to any more recording/mixing secrets threads.I love it when you get a wild hair up your ass.

ahhh!! long hair, ozzy, booze, sex, drugs and rock n roll...

Those were the days..

No wonder Ed has a few tight moments.

Nice mix BTW

Tony

Back