Piracy out of Control

do they give you a virus because my dumb ass frieind just downloaded reason and he got a virus, but i dont know if it was h2o.

track pusha said:
do they give you a virus because my dumb ass frieind just downloaded reason and he got a virus, but i dont know if it was h2o.

first of all, i'm not condoning piracy... but the thing is that h20 (or any cracking group) could put out a clean hack of a program only to have someone add spyware/malware later and then host the download/torrent/whatever; so there's no guarantee that it's safe. basically, if you're using cracked stuff as a trial before you buy the real software you're gambling the health of your pc every time.

shiatzu said:
first of all, i'm not condoning piracy... but the thing is that h20 (or any cracking group) could put out a clean hack of a program only to have someone add spyware/malware later and then host the download/torrent/whatever; so there's no guarantee that it's safe. basically, if you're using cracked stuff as a trial before you buy the real software you're gambling the health of your pc every time.

So how do people know that it's clean, by scanning it with virus scan? Because alot of the studios over by where I stay use almost nothing but cracked software. Me I dont feel right using software that i didn't buy, i like to have the box and all the papers

fraserhutch said:
So your arguments are that there really ought not be such a a thing as a recording musician - musicians should nmake their living gigging? Would that that could be true, but the economics are not there.

You are the same people people who bitch about the cost of tickets. You want to consume music and software, but not pay for it. It costs money to make albums and to do shows. The vasty majority of musicians are lucky if they make $100 night at a gig. That's what, $600 a week for a 6-day week? What kind of life is that?

There is a reason bands look for the recording deal. And you are arguing that they should not make a living from record sales and royalties????

Except for 99.99% of bands out there, signing a record deal is the biggest business mistake they ever make. It locks them into servitude. Hell, they can get locked up without even getting signed if they sign the wrong agreements.

alright i have to get into this...
Honestly, the price of cds, music programs, plugins, and probly every softwhere out there has been pushed beyond my limit.
if they are selling so much, and the products desighn is cheep. then why do we have to pay 18$ for, what a blank cdr and someones nice recording job. i mean, the cost for a studio is easily payed for.. it gets to a point where the industrys are just greedy bastards and dont give a damn about music. and yes, i know tipically cds arent 18$ more like 14$ but still....

i will return with my thoughts on softwhere later

-sjj

Sanjanjoseph said:
Honestly, the price of cds, music programs, plugins, and probly every softwhere out there has been pushed beyond my limit.
if they are selling so much, and the products desighn is cheep. then why do we have to pay 18$ for, what a blank cdr and someones nice recording job. i mean, the cost for a studio is easily payed for.. it gets to a point where the industrys are just greedy bastards and dont give a damn about music. and yes, i know tipically cds arent 18$ more like 14$ but still....

-sjj

cdrs are expensive because they have extra cost added to the purchase price to help with the loss incured from burning software/music/whatever.

Sanjanjoseph said:

-sjj

The price of cars is out of my limits, and I need to get around, you don't see me stealing one! And you probably wouldn't either. But your willing to download that software because you can't really be caught (yet). Because of that, your able to come up with some rational on why its okay for you not to pay for it.

If everyone is making so much money, then why are labels cutting back on everyarea, especially recording, which has put a lot of studios out of business. So by downloading that music or software, you are actually even putting yourself out of any hope of making money recording.

If people don't buy the music or software, people will stop developing it. You sure as hell wouldn't have a job, if no one paid your company for the service or product that you provide. And musicians, and software companies deserve the same thing.

c7sus said:
Except for 99.99% of bands out there, signing a record deal is the biggest business mistake they ever make. It locks them into servitude. Hell, they can get locked up without even getting signed if they sign the wrong agreements.

That's besides the point, which remains that a record deal is still seen as the means by which most of these musicians are hoping to make a living.

Sanjanjoseph said:

-sjj

Making albums/CDs/software whatnot is an expensive proposition. That you cannot afford it, or consider it a rip-off does not give you the moral right to pirate. You do not have a *right* to these goods.

what about people using obsolete software? the kid that uses sonar 2....its obsolete, inferior to sonar 3 and 4 and no one sells sonar 2 anymore...you think its still ok for him to download it and use it?

Who cares how much or little a record company makes. I am sick of hearing people trying to be the victim of the whole thing. I live in America and the record labels here have the right to make as little or as much as they want or can. The truth is that the consumer is the one responsible for all the crap. If they would stop buying the "crappy" music, then the labels would stop making it.

The more people steal from them though, the less the artists will make and the more the consumer will pay for the product.

maybe piracy will hurt the record industry so much that there'll be an indie music renaissance...

but anyways, places like the itunes store are doing really well and i think that's something that major labels need to get in to.. mp3s aren't going away and they need to get a "piece of that action".

fraserhutch said:
This argument never fails to annoy me - the artists you mention are in the top what, 5% of the industry? The vast majority of artists get hurt, and bad.

The same is true of the software industry.

Actually, in both cases, that's not really true.

The best way to get a lesser-known band into the spotlight is to give away music to anybody who will listen. For every person who pirates those songs, that's one person who probably had never heard of them before.

The same thing tends to happen with software, though most of this "piracy" is really just people abusing demo licenses. Eventually, many of these people buy the software. Most of those people are people who might never have heard of the software had they not found some link to "cool free software"....

The real question, then, is whether the gains from piracy outweigh the losses. Hard to say, really.

The other question that must be asked is whether those people would have bought the software had they not been able to pirate it. If the answer is "no", then you haven't lost a sale. You've just gained mindshare. The real question then becomes why the answer is "no".

If the answer is "no" because the software doesn't work well enough... well, you know what you need to to. If the answer is "no" because the software costs too much for what it does... again, the answer is obvious.

Most often, though, the reason that the answer is "no" is that your software costs too much in general (even if it seems reasonable given the complexity of the software). There are certain absolute maximum prices that most people are willing to pay for software. These vary according to the target audience. Most music software costs much more than those limits for that particular audience, so most software is pirated. Frankly, it's the fault of the corporate execs who are oblivious to the realities of the music market....

This brings me to two conclusions in these cases:

1. The software costs too much. If most of your market is saturated with pirated copies, you probably would have made much more money with a lower price. Try cutting the price in half.
2. Eventually, when those people find themselves able to afford the software (whether by fnding a better price or by finding a better source of revenue), most of them will come clean and buy it. For most people who aren't making money with the software, this never happens, and therein lies the problem. See solution for #1.

Just my $0.02.

giraffe said:
in the hi-end market people who are useing the software to make money usually pay for it. people just goofing off usually do not.

the target customer is the pro, thus the hi pricetag.

sooooooooooooo

if piracy never existed the "pirates" wouldn't bother to buy the programs anyway, meaning the ACTUAL loss of profit is very little.

on cheep consumer crap the storey is different.

and on music

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD

JUST LIKE IN THE PAST musicans will have to make thier money PLAYING MUSIC for people (ie. performing)

musicians existed before labels did.
(sigh)

Nicely put....

I never want to pay for an mp3. That said, I have bought nearly all the music I have. When you buy a CD what's the first thing you do? Open it up and go through the little booklet! There's more to a CD than anything a crappy sounding 160Kbit/second mp3 can give! I download music, and if I like it I usually end up buying the album.

In Tune Audio said:
I think this has already been happening, especially here in Canada.

Agreed.. take only the bands coming out of Montreal and you've still got an amazing Canadian indie scene. In the past few years in Montreal alone I've enjoyed: The Unicorns, The Dears, The Arcade Fire, Tricky Woo, among countless others. At least Halifax can lay claim on the amazing DJ Buck 65, who has finally got some recognition as of late (and Sloan too... but who cares about them anymore?).

Back