Pinnacle replacement

bpoco

Several years ago I invested in the Turtlebeach Pinnacle sound card. For the price, it offered the best analog sound quality accompanied by a built in synth (very respectable). I've been using it in conjunction with Cakewalk Pro Audio (9.0 currently). It's been great!!! I particularly like the fact that I can record the on-board synth into Cakewalk without having to leave the digital domain.

I've recently had to fix a hardware problem on the card and I took it as a warning sign that I'd better start investigating new cards before the Pinnacle craps out (Turtle Beach no longer supports this card). I also want to upgrade to Sonar and a new computer (currently using WIN 98 on a 500 MHZ). FYI - The Pinnacle requires an ISA slot (ugh !!!). No chance of using it on a new computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a card that can replace the all-around utility of the Pinnacle? My needs are minimal. Two analog inputs/Two analog outputs. I do want a card with very good SNR and a built in synth (if possible). I suppose I could start using "soft-synth" technology - but I'm afraid of it being a CPU-hog.

The sucessor to the Pinnacle was the Montego II. It seems that Turtle Beach only offers the Santa Cruz card now, and I'm not sure if it has a synth chip. Your best alternative for your needs is probably a Creative Labs Audigy card at this point.

Back