"PINK NOISE FULL bw -20 dBFS"

Disasster

So i have a sample of "PINK NOISE FULL bw -20 dBFS"

I load it up in Cubase SX3 with all faders set to "0". Now the meters are saying that its -14.4dBFS....??

Then i load the same sample up in Wavelab6 and it says -11.29 dBFS with a -19.26dB RMSFs

Shouldn't cubase be -20dB RMSFs to? Do i have to calibrate my meters or is this normal?

So i have a sample of "PINK NOISE FULL bw -20 dBFS"

I load it up in Cubase SX3 with all faders set to "0". Now the meters are saying that its -14.4dBFS....??

Then i load the same sample up in Wavelab6 and it says -11.29 dBFS with a -19.26dB RMSFs

What type of meters does Cubase have? Peak, RMS, both or something else? What is the RMS reference? I posted on this issue a few weeks ago in the computer and sound cards forum. The -20 dB figure for the noise file is an RMS measurement, and you need to know the reference used by your program for RMS measurements. The standard practice is to use a full scale sine wave as the RMS reference, so that sine waves show the same peak and RMS levels. However, some programs don't do this and for others it is an option.

Cheers,

Otto

What type of meters does Cubase have? Peak, RMS, both or something else? What is the RMS reference? I posted on this issue a few weeks ago in the computer and sound cards forum. The -20 dB figure for the noise file is an RMS measurement, and you need to know the reference used by your program for RMS measurements. The standard practice is to use a full scale sine wave as the RMS reference, so that sine waves show the same peak and RMS levels. However, some programs don't do this and for others it is an option.

Cheers,

Otto

Im pritty sure it has peak meters.

Im pritty sure it has peak meters.

Roger Nichols has a free version of the Inspector plug in that you can use as a meter plug in in Cubase. Be warned that it's RMS reference level is a full scale square wave, so everything will read 3 dB lower than standard practice when using it for RMS measurements (i.e. the noise file will show -23 dBFS RMS, once you figure out that the meter scale marking for -24dBFS is actually labeled "-21 dB".

Cheers,

Otto

Back