<== Pink Floise

Kelly Holdridge

I recently added three songs to our site. I'm a loser, so I'll split it up into three different posts...

3) "Pink Floise"

Look, it's like 13 megs and 15 minutes and it's great and all, but if you don't have a fast connection then you'll get pissed at me because you'll get teased by this AWESOME song and then AOL will kick you off because you haven't figured out how to avoid corporate sponsorship, leaving you with so much more of this song unheard and it'll be like sex without the orgasm and I really don't want my mailbox full of everyone telling me to post shorter songs.

Shit, most of them are pretty tiny, relatively. This one goes ON and ON through about four or five different spontaneous changes, and runs about 15 minutes. So, if you're gonna listen to it, listen to ALL of it. This is how our practices sound, BTW, and is a direct patch from the Mackie CFX-16 we're now using for PA shtuff.

Dig it. It's worth the download time.

-K.

Ginko Biloba: Man, the mix actually rescued this tune. I liked the growl of that bass guitar. But the timing problems on that poor excuse for a blues guitar lead ruined it. Really bad hiss as well.
Phase 180: Whoopee! you found the pan control on your board.
Pink Floise: Some nice moments, but noticeably derivative of several of their works. I'll mention Wish You Were Here and the Wall and leave it at that. The acoustic guitar trying to emulate the former failed to do so. I liked some of the background vocals (her's) and the keyboard stuff.
In and Out. Have you ever heard of Dolby noise reduction? Drums seemed badly skewed toward my left channel. Those there seemed to have been digging it, and that's what counts.
Funky Jam: Bossa Nova? A shorter rehash (prehash?) of Ginko Biloba.
But honestly- the Boat People didn't do any better. :)
But we had a wonderful time! Hope you did as well.
sonusman; Dragon: please prove me wrong.

Kelly. Have you taken your medication?

I laughed pretty hard at times, and I digged kinda hard some other times... When you record something sober; let me know :D :D :D :D

no way I'm gonna download 12.4 anyway, but I trust doc's review, so, what he said....gibs:D

DAMN!
GOT SLAMMED!
BY DA MAN!
WITH A CAN!
THEN I RAN!
FLIMMY FLAM!

(had to get that outta my system. wish you weren't in so much damn PAIN, doc! i might get a decent review with a couple of vials of morphene, hehehe)

Okay, all these songs were recorded differently. Ginko Biloba WAS rescued by the mix, which was me in my living room trying to cut-and-paste different parts together. There's a phrase missing in the middle that I forgot to add, but it didn't really make anything that much better. It's a bit long, too, so... well, you know. The blues guitar thing? hehehe That's our rhythm guitarist, front man Danny Narmore, his style is... his. hehe. And dig the edited "whomwhomwhom" parts, I worked hard on those (and without them, the song sucks. it's fun live, though!)

Phase 180. Yup. That was me figuring out how to compute ms times.

Pink Floise... hehe. I'm proud of that particular song because it's spontaneous, mostly. Is there an acoustic in there? I don't remember, probably so... And at the time, we weren't trying to go for that Pink Floyd thing, but Danny often sends us in that direction. That's Jennifer Wilsey, our keyboardist's GF, she's got a great voice and that was her first "venture" into the band.

Ins and Outs: ROTFLMAO, Doc. That was a stereo recording in a small "hole in the pier" at Fort Morgan, AL. That was back when I thought stereo recording meant put one microphone on ONE side of the room and the other microphone on the OTHER side. hehe. Yes, I've heard of Dolby, but I hate it. I'm not familiar with the different "types", but I know that the ones I've heard take out stuff that I'd rather have there. I might go in w/ CEPro and find a suitable noise floor, take that out.

Funky Jam is interesting because the reverb added a sustained bass line. We didn't actually use a bass when we recorded it (live, stereo), but after reverb, it just "showed up." So, we keep it.

Oh. The link. Of course (oops). http://www.mp3.com/high-tide hehe.

Meshuggah, you crack my ass up. I couldn't figure out WHAT the heck it was you meant by that first post, had to re-read it five or six times. hehe.

Thanks for the listen, guys. I 'preciate it! :D

Kelly,

It occurred to me the other day that I had never listened to your music...so I figured I'd give it a listen...a 12MB listen :)

Listened to Pink Floise of course. I actually like this is a lot of ways. You guys created a very nice mood, obviously borrowing from floyd and maybe some moody blues? Was this all recorded live? It has a nice loose feel that I also enjoyed considerably.

Musically, the only thing that really detracted from the whole thing was the guitar playing. I'm not sure if this was just a jam recording or what though. Lots of missed notes in the solos. And the rhythm guitar that comes in later is way too harsh...some chorus would've helped so much and made the key change smoother. Oh, and one spot that kind of makes me mad in my own little weird way is right at 6:17 where the rhythm guitar goes back into lead mode.....there is a little riff there that's just fucking DYING to be heard...the guitar player (sorry if that's you) has it in his head but seems to miss it on the fretboard. Seriously, that's the kind of break that can totally make a song...there are two or three spots like that in Shine On You Crazy Diamond for instance that bring tears to my eyes every single time I hear them. You guys found one of those spots...so rub it or something. :)

As far as the recording goes it sounds like you're half-way between lo-fi and hi-fi...kinda where I am I guess. The toms in the whole beginning section sound kinda bad, distorted almost, and aren't helped by the MP3 encoding. The vocals all sound like they're through SM57's. On the other hand the guitar recorded well and much of the synth sounds good as well.

The ending kinda made me laugh...especially the whole I love you bit (you might want to throw that particular mic in the garbage BTW).

Are you guys going to work on this more? It's pretty cool. Definately took me by suprise. Much goodness.

I also listened to your Phase 180...that's an ear trip whith phones on :)

Slackmaster 2000

The beginning of Pink Floise makes me think of a trailer for a movie where that one guy's voice (the same guy that does them all) starts talking in one or two word phrases and there's a a fly-in shot over some field early in the morning with fog and stuff...

Anyway.. nice mood peice and reminds of when I used to play in bands and we would just jam for two hours and record it the whole time. I miss having a real keyboard player to work with now. I would have liked to hear it really break into something heavier at the end ala Comfortably Numb since you were admitedly ripping off Floyd in a way, and someone lay down this 3 minute guitar solo, but that's just the direction I was hearing.

Back