ping pong

salty09

What has everyone found to be the best thing to choose to bounce down to 1 track. ie is it better to sned guitars down with drums or bass with drums vocals with something are there any serious no-nos for bouncing tracks together?

You want to leave bass and drum tracks to the outer tape tracks if possible as you'll get less bleed to adjacent tracks. Also, if you think about it, once you combine and bounce tracks, obviously you'll record over the original tracks and they'll be gone. So from a practical point of view I'd bounce to tracks that are easier to re-do if you decide you want to rerecord them. Also assuming your drums take up two tracks for stereo separation, you wouldn't want to place a lead vocal over one of those if you want the track panned centre, since the drum tracks will be panned L/R--alternatively you can centre the vocal over both while panning but then you're committed of course. If you want to effect a track, you'll need to do it while bouncing, otherwise you'll effect everything. A few thoughts.

Yeah that all makes since thanks for the input. I will keep that all in mind and try those ideas out. sure wish I could have aforded more then just a 4 track sure would make it easier. I just bought a fostex x-34 after my old tascam porta 7 had an accident, I think it might be fixable though and I really hope so tehn I would have to four tracks to work with. The x has outs for all 4 tracks so I could possible record 4 tracks to that first then send them stereo to my porta seven as 2 tracks and have two left in a sense saving some of the bouncing woes in the fact that I would still have all four origanl tracks seperate on another tape. I dont know just kind of thinking out lud hehe. Thx again.

Back