Ping Bass machine heads

timboZ

I am going to replace the tuners on my bass and GC has some PING 2682 machine heads. Are they any good? I cant seem to find any info on the web about them.

I remember the Ping name being out there in the early 90s or so. I really couldn't recall anything about them, though. What sort of bass is it? Knowing the size of the hole you're working with will help narrow down available options. FWIW, I've always been partial to Gotoh GB7s, but am growing to like the Hipshot Ultralites as well.

I just bought a set of Ping bass tuners for a Squire VM TB bass I just bought that had a broken tuner and a bent tuner duing shipment.
The looked very similar to the vintage copy tuners of the bass. Actually they
looked too similar. Due to this and the fact that the mounting holes were in
different locations I decided not to use them and just sent the Squre back
and get a Fender American precision. It's to bad because the Squire really
did play and sound nice I just don't have the time to keep shipping them back to find a perfect one.

Back to the Ping tuners. I didn't mount them but they really don't look that much better than the cheap squire tuners. The do have a nice nickel finish slightly better that the Chinese ones though. I would advise you to go with a set of Fender vintage tuners, I think there only $15 more than the pings.

Whatever you have on your instrument are better than anything Ping makes, unless of course the gears on your bass were made by Ping. Pings suck. They are cheap, and they can be fine for a cheap instrument, but they suck.

If you are having tuning problems, the chances of your gears being a problem is close to zero. The most likely issues are your instruments setup and your tuning technique. Gears are almost NEVER the issue. Take your instrument to a good repair shop (which is not in a Guitar Center, by the way), and have them take a look.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

The only thing wrong with the machine heads on it now is that elephant ears are lose and rattles a bit on 2 of the tuners. The gears are OK.
Any suggestions on how to repair that.

The only thing wrong with the machine heads on it now is that elephant ears are lose and rattles a bit on 2 of the tuners. The gears are OK.
Any suggestions on how to repair that.

Is it the button that is loose or the worm shaft? Cause if it's the shaft, then you can probably just tighten the gear screw. Otherwise, I don't know exactly which gears you are using, so I can't say.

If you do need to replace them, spend some money to get good gears, you'll be much happier.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back