Pinch roller for Otari MX5050BQII ?

Goldenvoice388

Messing with a 1/4" 4-track Otari I drug home a while back from the local junk shop. It's in visually great shape - on the rolling stand - I think I gave 10 or 20 bucks for it... All the meters light, and an old jazz tape that was on it plays through my headphones. Transport: basic quick check all seems to work - I'll check it out further in the next few days. (it is terribly caked with oxide, though).

Anyway, I noticed right in the store, the machine making a little clunk-clunk when operating. This evening I identified it as a bad pinch roller - so...

Where do I find a new / good one?

Send the bad one to http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/ or get one direct from Otari.

To clean off the oxide, get some 100% cotton make up remover pads (lint free ones) and 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol).

20 bucks for an MX5050 is money well spent. :D;)

Are the heads still good?

Yeah, you'll pay more for the pinch roller than you did for the deck! But that is great and if all you have to do is replace that, you got a great deal!

BTW, Otari parts support is very good. They have a guy in California, (818) 345 1584. Expensive though. I got a few odds and ends recently for a MX5050BIIb

Well, the above number is no longer in service, but Aheadtek does have a new roller in stock for a mere $42.50 - seems reasonable enough, considering the bushing on mine is a bit loose.

I don't have time before todays gig to mess with the unit, but hope in the next few days to get the tape path clean, and run her through the paces, before ordering any parts.

G:)

I'll double check the number. It was literally a month or two ago I got lamps and a shim from them....

Back