Piltdown Man here... I need more LEVEL!

PiltdownMan

When I listen to a retail CD -- or even numerous posts on this site -- and then listen to one of my own CDs or songs, they're often at a much lower overall volume. I push my faders until just before the "clip light" comes on (in Cubase), and I use compression, but I can't get the same level. Any advice on what I may be doing wrong? I'm at:

www.nowhereradio.com/piltdownman/singles

if you need to listen to something to get an ear for it. Compare the levels to other things you've heard and let me know what may help.

I use Cubase 5.1, Aardvark LX6 and an old TASCAM 488 MKII as a mixing board. :-)

Thanks for the help.

Piltdown Man

Yo Pilt:

You're real close to Sweetwater Sound. Why not stop there and ask their guys in the studio what's up?

Just an idea.

Green Hornet

I started getting acceptably loud CDs when I began to concentrate on getting as much signal as possible onto the tracks up front, while recording. And I'm not using very much compression. The commercial CDs have been through a mastering process also, keep that in mind. They're using a lot of $$$ worth of multiband compression, eq, etc. that you probably don't have. But for your purposes, the more signal/digital info you can get in (cleanly, of course) on each track the more you'll have available to get loud with going to CD. Use eq cutting on each track that you have frequencies on that you aren't using. Cut the lows for guitar, keyboards, etc. and crank the levels up. Cut some of the highs for kick, bass, etc. and crank em up. You can always bring the faders down in a mix.... These are some of my fairly ignorant musings.

To really get that high level and good sound you need to send it out to have it mastered properly! I know there are other ways around it, because I have gotten levels louder than those on the radio without peaking, put honestly, it's the mastering that will do the trick!

For fixes to specific mastering problems like this, check with rec.audio.pro on UseNet. It's not magic, just knowledge and experience. There's tons there.

r.a.p is probably the best source of serious recording info on the net. If anyone knows a better one, I'd love to know about it.

Wow, thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I'm just a hobbiest, so sending out for mastering is really not an option, but I do realize that's a good suggestion. Thanks.

I'm guessing Steven is closest to my most immediate problem. My levels are quite inconsistent from song to song, considering I'll use completely different drums samples or effects or instruments on every song, so sometimes a single instrument or sample will bring everything else down on the individual channel faders. I'm gonna work on evening that out and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sweetwater's having a huge sale, apparently, later this month. I'm tempted to make the drive. I've never been there, but I'd love to check it out. :-)

I'll also be sure to check out r.a.p., bong-man. Hadn't heard of that one. I'm sure it will be helpful. Thanks again!

Piltdown Man

Back